White or Wheat Sandwich Shop Takes Over Where Brownbaggers Left Off

• Written on: May 22nd, 2009

white_or_wheat_sandwich_lincoln_nebraskaWe have a bit of a lunch tradition at Schrock Innovations.

Each day one of my employees asks, what are we getting for lunch?

The chorus of “i don’t know” and “not Jimmy Johns again” echos through our service center.

After some discussion we all agree on a place and each employee takes a turn buying lunch for everyone else.

Scott suggested we try something new as a favor to him.  He told us we would not be sorry.

He asked if we could order lunch from White or Wheat Sandwich Shoppe.

White or Wheat took over the bay that used to hold Brown Baggers on 70th and Van Dorn.  I was so impressed with the sandwiches we ordered that I called to speak with the owner and tell her what a great job she was doing.

Most sandwich shops either buy pre-made bread, or make their own.  Making your own bread is a tricky thing.  You have to keep it fresh because without good bread you can’t have a good sandwich.

On the flip side, the sandwich business is not exactly a high-margin industry.  You have to keep your food cost around 25% of your sales – no higher than 30% or you simply won’t survive.

To my knowledge, White or Wheat is the only sandwich shop in Lincoln, NE that hand rolls and bakes each and every piece of bread they use in their facility.  When I say hand rolled I mean they don’t use a machine.  Their bread is HAND ROLLED and you can taste the difference!

The owner of White or Wheat Sandwich Shoppe did not ask me to write this and I was not paid to write this.  Their sandwiches are genuinely good and I highly recommend them!

White or Wheat Sandwich Shoppe offers catering as well as delivery.  Call them for more information at 402-434-3980.

1. Dan Staehr
    Dan Staehr said on May 22nd, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I hope they can keep it going. Seems like whenever Lincoln gets a new LOCAL food place, it just can’t keep it going.

2. Diety said on June 1st, 2009 at 3:46 am

White or Wheat Sandwich Shoppe has delicious sandwiches! I thought I was the only one who knew about it! I eat there almost every other day on my way to work and I’m loving it!

3. cash loans uk said on June 1st, 2009 at 11:28 am

Hand rolled breads are awesome. I can not taste the ones made by white or wheat but we have some shops here in Manchester which I frequent really often.

4. Confused
    Confused said on June 3rd, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I tried to call the White or Wheat Sandwich Shoppe and got Brown Baggers in the Haymarket! I asked if they were associationd with White or Wheat and they said no. The number 434-3980 doesn’t seem to be correct. Does anyone know their new number? Thanks.

5. gas card said on June 6th, 2009 at 12:30 am

Wow they roll and produce their own bread… simply amazing. I am sure you can really taste the difference. Sounds like a nice place to eat!

6. Joey Logano Fan said on June 12th, 2009 at 1:35 am

That sandwich looks pretty good. I’ll bet it tastes better then it looks given that the bread is made there on the spot! I’ll have the turkey on wheat bread please

7. Business Forms Printer said on June 17th, 2009 at 1:11 am

This is really good bread is hand rolled bread. Generally i prefer McDonald burger in lunch.

8. Mas
    Mas said on October 2nd, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Does anyone know the Hours? And yeah, the number isn’t right.