New Email Virus Attacks News Junkies
- Comments: 1
- Written on: January 22nd, 2007
A new virus started showing up in people’s inboxes three days ago that attempts to trick people into opening an attachment that appears to be a video clip related to a news story.
The virus is called Trojan.Peacomm and it arrives in your inbox with a subject line that resembles a news story. The subject lines are changing constantly, but some of the ones I have seen in the past few days include:
- The Supreme Court has been attacked by terrorists. Sen. Mark Dayton dead!
- A killer at 11, he’s free at 21 and kill again!
- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has kicked German Chancellor Angela Merkel
- British Muslims Genocide
- Naked teens attack home director
- 230 dead as storm batters Europe
- Re: Your text
While the subject lines of the email message change constantly, the names used for the attachments seem to be fairly consistent. The names used include:
- Full Story.exe
- Read More.exe
As of the 19th, Symantec’s Norton Antivirus has been detecting this virus, but if you accidentally double clicked on one of these attachments to view what you thought was a video, you may be unintentionally spreading this virus to the people on your email contact list.
To protect yourself from this and other viruses, I recommend you immediately update your antivirus software and run a complete system scan. Many of these attachments would have been stripped away before they reached Outlook and Outlook Express users, but users of other email programs could be at a greater risk of infection by this virus.
- If you liked this post, subscribe to my feed!
- Comments: 1