Computer Component Prices Edging Higher

• Written on: April 20th, 2011

I just finished placing a component order for my Computer Repair Service Centers in Omaha and Lincoln and I noticed something curious.

Slowly over the past 8 weeks base component prices have been edging higher.  For example, each component that we install in a new computer is costing on average between $.40 and $.99 more than it did eight weeks ago.

Specifically, the cost of the motherboards we use in our Modular Computers has increased over $1.40 in the past 8 weeks.

I’m not an economist, but there are a few things that I see reported in the news that could be responsible for the upward tick in computer component costs:

1. The price of oil and Diesel continues to rise
  2. The dollar is weakening against foreign currencies
  3. Gold, Silver, and other component hard costs are going up

So far Schrock has been able to avoid paying the cost increases by ordering in larger quantities and aggressively shopping for those vendors who purchased their inventories before the prices started to move up.

No matter who you buy from, eventually this is going to come home to roost on individual consumers.

I am still young enough that I have not experienced sudden and dramatic inflation, but from what I have seen in fuel and food prices and what i am seeing now in our component costs I am starting to wonder if this is the beginning of what may be a significant inflationary trend.

1. John said on April 24th, 2011 at 9:43 am

I’ve noticed this too, even though I’m just looking for a home PC that will be useful for work and some gaming.. I set up a newegg account around Christmas time when my current computer started acting funky, and I kept telling myself that I’d buy it just as soon as the prices started coming down.

Except they haven’t really come down at all, they’re slightly creeping up as combo deals and rebates vanish! If anything does actually drop in price, it is sold out before long.. and there’s an “upgraded” model available at a higher cost.

2. Komodo Dragon said on May 1st, 2011 at 4:12 am

This is a pretty worrying trend. I have had to hold off on some non-critical upgrades recently, hoping the prices come back down to what they were before and I catch some good bargains.

3. college textbooks said on May 2nd, 2011 at 12:37 pm

It seems like everything is going up in price these days. I think it mostly has to do with rise in oil prices, but still it is too bad that the rise in cost isn’t reflective in our paygrades. I remember when what you made raised with inflation but that isn’t the case anymore.

4. Laptop Briefcases said on May 2nd, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Yes I definitely think some significant inflation is on the horizon. Another factor is that countries like China are finally starting to pay their employees higher wages and providing better working conditions. So those costs are bound to be passed onto the consumer.

5. Computer Repair London Ontario said on June 14th, 2011 at 10:52 am

I wonder how this will affect Moore’s Law.

6. Web Marketing said on June 23rd, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I like to buy my HP laptop keyboard and its almost same as 2nd hand laptop

7. One Stop One Shop said on August 18th, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Prices has been rising my major supplier just announced that prices on all components will be going up because they import 100% from Japan and US and they have increased their prices.

8. steve @ facebook clone said on October 13th, 2011 at 4:31 am

LIfe is getting changed a lot as technology prices also getting higher in markets

9. extractor fans kitchen said on October 30th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Everything nowadays is on the rise so how can you expect PC comonent prices not to go up?

10. Promotional T shirts said on October 2nd, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I personally prefer to keep computers off of the floor–specifically 6 inches or more. After all, I did buy a computer not a vacuum cleaner.