Windows XP is Officially Dead

• Written on: October 23rd, 2010

Windows XP DeadAs of October 22, 2010 computer manufacturers (including local OEM companies like Schrock Innovations) are no longer permitted to install Windows XP as a primary operating system on new computers.

The only exception to this is if the customer buys a newer operating system on the computer like Windows 7, and then buys a second license for XP and downgrades the system.  This option will be supported through 2015.

With that said, the days of getting XP systems from Dell, HP or any other business provider are officially over.

In fact, and computer builder, local or otherwise, who tells you they can still build you a new Windows XP PC that is properly licensed with Microsoft is lying to you. Unless you buy 2 operating systems it can’t be done legitimately. (Trust me, you don’t want to call Microsoft’s bluff on licensing or stuff like this can happen to your company.)

One of the most popular questions I get on my radio show (now available free on iTunes)  is when will XP be dead?  I guess this is the final answer.

1. car battery said on October 24th, 2010 at 8:08 am

I think many people will still continue using XP, one way or another. Windows 7 is no doubt a great OS, but many are simply so comfortable with XP, they don’t really want to learn how to use 7. I also think 7 requires a beefier computer so that could also play a role in people removing 7 on their new PC and installing XP on it. It has definitely been a good OS.

2. cheap college textbooks said on October 25th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

We all new this day was coming

3. Printable Coupons said on October 26th, 2010 at 7:43 am

It’s too bad… I’m still using XP. I think it’s an awesome OS. But we need to move forward and learn how to adapt. It’s inevitable.

4. Sleigh Beds said on October 28th, 2010 at 5:45 am

Although glad in some ways, i still kinda feel XP is better than Vista, so mixed news. Thanks for the article though, thought this had already happened!

5. Lynnwood Real Estate Broker said on November 1st, 2010 at 6:40 am

I still have XP running on my machine, but my husband has Win 7 on his. The biggest headache we have had is that a lot of the old programs we were using won’t run on his machine now and we are forced to update or re-purchase them.

6. taoist meditation said on November 2nd, 2010 at 2:50 am

I really don’t understand why you guys want to install XP on new Vista notebooks and get in to all these driver problems…

7. elite auto shipping said on November 3rd, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I still find people using it here and there, not everybody has enough incentive to convert or upgrade

8. Free Stuff Canada said on November 5th, 2010 at 6:59 am

I am a big fan of Windows XP and thinking about to purchase a new laptop with the XP installed again. I don’t know why MicroSoft is not adopting a policy of a free usage of its platform, although it has magnitude to produce lot more outlets and programs that can be utilized to earn and govern the globe.

Anyway thanks for the nice post.

9. used tires said on November 6th, 2010 at 3:39 am

I personally am still on Windows XP, probably won’t upgraded to Windows 7 until next year just because I still see better performance in XP. Being that I am a gamer, I count every last frame per second I get. The last time I was on windows 7, I tested it… and I got less FPS on it compared to when I was on Windows XP… So for me… performance wins in that perspective. It’s a shame that Microsoft is cutting off ties with Windows XP like that, it was an awesome operating system.

-John

10. golf hats said on November 12th, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I think XP is the only Windows system I look back on with any sort of fondness, it became a great reliable workhorse over the years. Unfortunately I’m still stuck suffering with the Vista effect, but from what I hear WIndows 7 may have saved the day.

11. Cheap Calls to Australia said on December 9th, 2010 at 6:29 am

This is bad news in my opinion. XP has the best look and feel and less errors than Vista!

12. saglikhaberim said on February 1st, 2011 at 7:48 am

I still find people using it here and there :/

13. semmy @ Make Money Online said on February 9th, 2011 at 6:49 am

I really like using XP rather than using vista or the new one. so sad. but we must move forward.