How to Backup Your Computer Using Windows 7

• Written on: September 26th, 2010

Windows 7 comes complete with all of the software you need to backup your computer’s hard drive completely and safely.

One of the most expensive procedures in computer repair is recovering data from a failed hard drive. You can save yourself the heartache and money of a costly repair by following these simple directions below.

What Do I Need?

• A computer running any version of Windows 7
  • A blank CD-R disc
  • A removable hard drive

Preparing to Backup

1. Connect your removable hard drive to a USB port, preferably on the back of your computer. These backups are automated, so you want to leave the hard drive hooked up all the time. Try not to use it for storing anything other than your backup files and images.
  2. Label your blank CD-R disc Windows 7 Hard Drive Recovery Disc with a permanent marker (not a ball-point or other hard writing instrument) and place it in your CD burner.

Creating Your Backup Routine

1. Click on Start in the lower left hand corner of your screen
  2. Click on All Programs, then click Maintenance
  3. Click on Backup and Restore
  4. On the left, click on “create a system repair disc”
  5. Click on Create Disc to start burning to the CD in your drive
  6. After the burn is complete return to the Backup and Restore screen and click “Set up Backup on the right”
  7. Select your backup hard drive from the Backup Destination list & click Next
  8. Click the “Let Me Choose” option
  9. Check all boxes and check the “Include a system image” box toward the bottom & click Next
  10. Click the “Save settings and run backup” button

Your backup will now run every Sunday evening at 7 PM. Remember that your computer must be turned on for the backup to work.

With this backup in hand you will be able to restore a complete image of all of your files and programs should you ever have a hard drive crash.

Should you ever need to perform a recovery simply boot from your recovery CD and restore the backup image that is created every Sunday night.

1. payday uk said on September 27th, 2010 at 11:44 am

I have been using win 7 for quite a while and did not know this existed. This may come in very handy sometime.

2. p90x reviews said on October 1st, 2010 at 1:19 am

Unfortunately I am still using Windows XP and my Windows recently decided to uninstall itself for no reason. So I lost all my work as well as family photos. I am going to try to run some kinda of data recovery tool but I think I lost everything.

Thank you for the guide Thor as I do plan to upgrade to windows 7 after this nonsense happened for only the 10th or so time. I will run through your guide once I buy it.

3. used tires said on October 1st, 2010 at 9:16 am

Oh thats awesome to hear about Windows 7, I guess that is one more reason for me to possibly move finally into Windows 7, I am still on Windows XP because it is what I am most comfortable with but Windows and its features might finally be turning me into a fan boy 😀

-John

4. Laptop Attache said on October 1st, 2010 at 12:45 pm

This sounds like a great windows feature, although I gave up on trying to do windows backups a while ago. While it’s great for when problems arise, I just can’t be bothered to do the actual work, even if the software part is automated.

5. wordgeist said on October 1st, 2010 at 12:52 pm

this is a great tutorial to backup using windows 7

6. car battery said on October 2nd, 2010 at 2:02 am

Thanks, I plan to move on to Windows 7 when I upgrade to my next computer. What happens when the external drive runs out of memory?

7. Moorpark Real Estate said on October 2nd, 2010 at 5:37 am

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post…

8. payday uk said on October 3rd, 2010 at 2:24 am

It turns out I did actually need to use this and reading ur blog helped a great deal so thanks.

9. cheap college textbooks said on October 4th, 2010 at 7:34 am

I didn’t realize they made it so easy. That is awesome. I have an extra iBook around, so I can do this now. I have most of my important files backed up but now I can have everything.

10. Laptop Attache said on October 4th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Do people actual use a new cdr each time for this? Or do most people just use a cdrw instead?

11. used tires said on October 4th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

@Laptop, that’s actually a really good question, I would think that most people use the cd-rw that would make the most sense to me!

Till then,

Jean

12. car battery said on October 5th, 2010 at 12:07 am

I think for such an important purpose, it’d be safer to use a fresh new CD-R rather than a CD-RW. There’s a always the chance of having some leftover data on it or one that’s been rewritten many times over.

13. taoist meditation said on October 7th, 2010 at 4:12 am

It makes a complete clone of your hard drive, including the registry. When you recover the image back to your hard drive everything will work as it did when you made the copy.

14. Printable Coupons said on October 20th, 2010 at 6:36 am

Well, I’m still using XP. It works well for me but everybody seems to migrating to Windows & already and I don’t want to be left behind.. One reason I’m hesitant because of all the files that need to be transferred. argh! what a pain.

15. Heated Vest said on October 21st, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Yet another reason for me to upgrade to Windows 7. I also heard this version of Windows makes it simpler to project your laptop screen onto any television screen which is another plus. There’s too many horror stories about not having a proper backup to hold back on the upgrade and these instructions will come in very handy.

16. çizgi film seyret said on November 3rd, 2010 at 8:04 am

This is a great tutorial to backup using windows 7 😉

17. çizgi film seyret said on January 1st, 2011 at 7:16 am

This may come in very handy sometime. :/

18. atlanta remodelers said on November 21st, 2011 at 2:42 am

Just say awesome can’t wait to read your next posts, Great Stuff!

19. Car LCD Monitors said on January 11th, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Win 7 is used for quite a while I did not know this existed. Your article is useful.