Email Scams Trying to Trick Unsuspecting Users

• Written on: April 6th, 2010

While it is certainly nothing new, yet another threat to your email security is floating around the internet.

This email made it through our formidable spam filters (as well as through Google’s filters) to find its way to my inbox.

Dear Customer,

This e-mail was send by schrockinnovations.com to notify you that we have temporanly prevented access to your account.

We have reasons to beleive that your account may have been accessed by someone else.

Please click on the following link (or copy & paste it into your web browser):

(C) schrockinnovations.com

As usual, the message is plagued with misspellings and the link (removed in my example) to the instructions.exe file would have attempted to infect my computer.

As a general rule, email system administrators do not send broadcast emails to users notifying them of an intrusion.

1. Nicole Price said on April 7th, 2010 at 12:59 am

Such mails are on the increase and in some cases, seem so genuine that it is heart breaking to trash them!

2. business it solutions said on April 7th, 2010 at 6:17 am

This has gotten crazy now! I’ve always gotten one or two per month,but now I’m getting three per week or more.Most of them seem to be coming through Yahoo! mail and I report every one,but now Y!mail abuse is coming up a failure notice.I think it’s because they’re overrun with abuse reports.

3. taoist meditation said on April 8th, 2010 at 4:29 am

This Trojan may arrive on a system as a file attached to a spammed email message, or downloaded by an unsuspecting user when visiting malicious Web sites.

4. Net Age | Web Development said on April 11th, 2010 at 11:46 pm

If it ain’t the bank (that i don’t even have an account with…) trying to get me to enter my password, or the daughter of some African despot that want to launder $8 million through my account, then it is the lotto telling me I’ve won (for the third time this week…..yawn)

Obviously people are getting caught out with these scams, so be double careful, because sooner or later you’ll be targeted by a seemingly legitimate mail!

5. sell textbook said on April 13th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

it is so hard to train users not to trust anyone, its like a little kid that you have to tell to not talk to strangers.

6. business it solutions said on April 14th, 2010 at 3:06 am

Agreed. I’ve always thought of this stuff as an internet urban legend. So people actually fall for about anything if there’s a naked chic attached to it?

7. Migraine Causes said on April 14th, 2010 at 4:58 am

I get many spam messages on my main email and i keep sending them to the spam section.

8. taoist meditation said on April 16th, 2010 at 3:04 am

The creation of online scammers, she’s trying to trick unsuspecting Internet users into helping the scammers break the online barriers that banks and e-mail services set up to thwart crooks.

9. HHO
    HHO said on April 16th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

There are a lot of people which don’t want to understand that even clicking on those spam messages are bad.
    They are seeing the title and chick on it over and over again.

10. used tires said on April 17th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

After years of being a net user, it seems amazing to me that anyone could actually fall for these scams. But if I think back to when I first got online and was new to the internet, I don’t think I’d have known any better. And these scams target the new users specifically I think.

Till then,

Jean

11. Inexpensive Laptops said on April 20th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

There are so many email scams out there it is hard to keep track. Some look legitimate, or are spoofed to do so. I just opened a spam email address to use for signing up for things accross the net. You know you will get tons of emails on the net wherever you sign up, so your best option is to have a personal email address and only give that out to your friends and family. And use the throwaway address for everything else.

12. payday uk said on April 20th, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I have certainly seen zillions of such mails and now I know how to differentiate them from genuine ones, but there will be many who can not. They are a big threat and something needs to be done about such sites.

13. business it solutions said on April 27th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Agreed,I’ve always thought of this stuff as an internet urban legend. So people actually fall for about anything if there’s a naked chic attached to it?

14. sell textbook said on April 28th, 2010 at 7:09 am

I have seen this a lot as well. The main thing that clues me in is the link. I have seen them from my bank and the links do match up. I have made it a habit to search the site on my own and not use links that are given v.i.a. email. I have also opened a new email as well to try and slow the spam.

15. Forex Tips said on May 1st, 2010 at 10:23 am

I have ever received email from support@paypall.com. Do you see anything wrong? There is 2 ll at the back of the paypal and this is very tricky. Got to be careful everyone.

16. çizgi film İzle said on May 1st, 2010 at 1:51 pm

17. Acai said on May 2nd, 2010 at 11:07 am

Really managing the fake mail task is such a frustrating task.
    We should take some restrict steps to ban those type of users.

18. Moorpark Real Estate said on May 18th, 2010 at 5:37 am

I’m too facing such problem dear. There’s lot of fake emails I’m getting daily and few of them showing me the daydream do become rich.
    Please let me know the way to track such type of users.

19. Komodo Dragon said on May 18th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

That’s pretty crazy Thor, reading that sort of email almost makes me wonder if it is a competitors of yours that is doing that or somebody you know. Whoever it may be, its a shame that they have to resort to dirty tactics like that :(

20. Dena Tasarim said on May 19th, 2010 at 9:52 am

That’s as low as a scam can get tbh…

21. çizgi film seyret said on June 6th, 2010 at 6:50 am

22. watch season episode said on June 14th, 2010 at 4:09 am

I have never even heard about that website or is it just any website they want you to go to just to get you to click the url?

23. Textbooks said on October 4th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I definitely don’t receive as many email scams as I used to.. Have my spam filters improved, or perhaps GMail does a better job of preventing them?

24. Евгений SEO Полищук said on February 16th, 2011 at 2:07 am

25. gogus buyutucu said on April 18th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Such mails are on the increase and in some cases :/

26. bedding said on April 28th, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I can’t understand why threads are generated on emails….?

27. [...] Email Scams Trying to Trick Unsuspecting Users [...]