How to Fix Missing DLL Files on Your PC

• Written on: April 2nd, 2010

Encountering a computer error can be a frustrating experience, especially if you are unaware of its cause or the steps you need to follow to troubleshoot it. One of the most common Windows errors that irritate computer users are DLL errors.

So, what are DLL errors anyway and how does one deal with them?

DLL files are a group of files that contain codes that allow them to perform one or more specific functions, such as providing graphical user interface for applications or controlling dialog boxes. A DLL file can be used by multiple applications simultaneously.

This brings us to the next question – Why are DLL errors so common? Well, there are many reasons for a DLL error, but the main reason for their frequent occurrence is attributed to the fact that these files are present in huge numbers on all Windows PCs.

One of the most common types of DLL errors are “missing or not found” DLL errors. Examples of common “missing or not found” DLL error messages are shared below:

• “The file msvcr80.dll is missing”
  • Adobelinguistic.dll file not found”
  • “This application failed to start, an important component mfc80u.dll is missing. Reinstalling the application may fix the error.”

As you can guess, the most common “missing or not found DLL errors” occur because of missing DLL files. Listed below are the two most common situations that lead to the removal of a DLL file and the steps you need to perform and repair the missing DLL error.

Deletion of a DLL file by mistake

Removal of a DLL file by mistake is also a common occurrence. This generally occurs when a user intends to delete a file that has a name similar to a DLL file.

If you believe you have mistakenly removed the DLL file, then restore the DLL file from the Recycle Bin. This should correct the missing DLL error. If you have already emptied the contents of the Recycle Bin, then you may use a reliable third-party recovery tool to recover the lost DLL file.

Malware Infection

Malware programs, such as virus, trojans and rootkits have the potential to affect your computer’s performance in many ways. Malicious programs are notorious for modifying or deleting important files like DLL files.

If you suspect your PC is infected, first run a malware scan using a reputed antivirus and antispyware tool to delete the malware and restore your PC’s integrity. Next, if the missing DLL file is a non-Windows file, download a new copy of the DLL file from a reliable DLL online directory. There are many free DLL directories available on the Internet that offer free downloads of DLL files. However, before you select a website always confirm that the website is safe and genuine. The reason being – there are many dubious websites that are known to push rogue or malicious files in disguise of genuine DLL files. Downloading a file from such websites may cause more harm to your PC.

In case the missing DLL file is a Windows file, then you simply need to extract a copy of the DLL file from your original Windows installation CD and restore it in the right folder.

It is also recommended that you run a registry scan to ensure that the DLL error is not caused due to an incorrect DLL entry in the registry.

1. American Bison said on April 3rd, 2010 at 1:14 am

Man, getting those errors are a pain for sure, I remember back when I had windows 98, they came frequently it seemed 🙁

2. Eric W. said on April 5th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Another thing to try:

Click on Start, and in the bar above the start button type ‘cmd’, above in the start menu, a black box with cmd.exe should appear. Right click that an select ‘Run as administrator’, and approve it if asked. (Or in Windows XP, select Run, and then type ‘cmd’ and press enter.) from there, type ‘sfc /scannow’ and press enter. This will check the version of DLL’s and other system files on your computer, and verify that they are the correct version. You may need your Windows Installation Disc inserted in your CD/DVD drive if it finds one it wants to replace. The scan will take 30-45 minutes, but you can rest assured that your system files will be the correct ones. If you have any questions about it, feel free to call our shop, and our technicians can walk you through it. area code 402, prefix 423 end 9595.

3. Nicole Price said on April 7th, 2010 at 12:50 am

I got quite fed up with using Windows and have recently shifted to a Mac and am happy to say that since then, I have had no problems.

4. Coat stand said on April 8th, 2010 at 4:10 am

If you share the links from where we will download these .dll files will be very easy to recover these issues

5. şişme bebek said on June 16th, 2010 at 4:21 am

6. Rev. Hartley A. Postlethwaite, IV
    Rev. Hartley A. Postlethwaite, IV said on August 18th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Thank you for this opportunity. I purchased a PC Fix 2010 ver 203 many months ago. It cost me over $100, as I do not believe in credit cards (Obama). A major parked truck rollover broke every bone in my back – requiring 14 operations over the years. [I had to renew my passport to buy a money order as they only accept a Driver’s license to buy a money order and PC fix would not accept a check].

It has never cleaned my computer. Today, I spent the time to re-scan 8 times, without ever leaving PC Fix. First time, 35 Empty Registries – report “ALL cleaned”. Second time 10 Empty found – all cleaned. Third time 7 empty, all cleaned. Fourth thru sixth tries all showed 3 empties found all fixed (each scan). Seventh Time it went down to 2 errors found and fixed. The eighth time it started back up again and found 3 errors and said it fixed them again.

My injury does not allow me to sit but 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off – using a kitchen timer to keep me honest. Today I spent well over an hour running those checks – most just getting up a couple of times to walk 5 minutes. I am so sore, it is hard to describe. I do lots of volunteer work – and get more than I should do.

Now it appears that there are a lot of companies hawking the same program – even to the version number. I tried e-mailing the address on my corresspondence and it was returned – addressee unknown. Should I delete it and what do you recommend in its place. Done computers since main-frames and all problems were manageable. Now we have the trouble makers. I bought a new Norton 360, version 4 (unopened). Is it any good? Thanks for your blog – I have never written to one before.

Rev. Hart