iSlate Won’t Be a Low-Price Device

• Written on: January 6th, 2010

There has been a lot of chatter all over the web regarding Apple’s expected announcement of the iSlate tablet device on or around January 26, 2010.

There are a lot of people with a lot of ideas about what the iSlate tablet is, what product niche it is designed to fill in Apple’s product line, what its features will be, and how much it will cost.  While no one knows the specifics yet, I believe a lot of the rumors are slightly off-base.

Everyone is wrapped up in what Apple has ordered from suppliers, what the iPhone can do, Apple’s supposed need to compete with netbooks, and pure desire for something new from Steve Jobs.

Many of the people turning the crank on the rumor machine are fogetting some of the known Apple quantities:

1. Steve Jobs doesn’t chase market niches – he redefines them
  2. Steve jobs has publicly stated that netbooks are substandard hardware
  3. Apple risks cheapening its brand by selling a sub-$1000 computing device
  4. This is a lifestyle device – people will not buy it because the need it.  People will need it because they want it

Rather than getting all caught up in the expected specifications, whether or not it has an OLED screen, or attempting to decode vague requests to iPhone application developers for more high-resolution apps, I am going to make three general Thorstradamus predictions:

1. There is a distinct possibility that the late January announcement is about an improvement in the iPhone.  I peg this at a 60% chance.  Apple is about the software & apps, and they’re just not there yet.
  2. If the announcement is about an Apple tablet, it will cost more than $1200.  It may be re-released later at a lower cost as Apple did with the iPhone
  3. I do not think Apple will launch a device designed to compete with $400 netbooks EVER

What do you think?  Post a comment below to go on the record.  Let’s see who is right on this one!

1. Laptop Briefcase said on January 6th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I agree that Apple will not price this device cheaply. If you look at the high prices of mac laptops, you’d get an idea of how much they will want to charge. The prices for the tablet will be in line with what they charge for their other similar devices. If they want to wow with the iSlate, it won’t be done with a low budget tablet. It will be done with a very powerful tablet that originally only wealthier people could afford.

2. Mike
    Mike said on January 6th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Apple is going to intro a tablet of some form.

No iPhone. If true about Apple renting the Yerba Buena center, they are not renting it for a phone upgrade.

Apple has never said anything about not releasing a sub $1000 device. It was more like a sub $500 device.

Yes, you will not see a $400 device to compete with Netbooks. Netbooks are relative crap anyways. The OS’s, other than Linux, are really not optimized for them.

The Tablet will not be more than $1000 unless they have some sort of uber configuration.

How do you know they are “not there” with the software and apps? They have apparently been working on this for a while and I believe that.

Will there be ALOT of apps? No. there were NO apps for the iPhone when it came out other than what was built in.

3. Genie said on January 6th, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I agree. I do not think apple is ever gonna create a product to compete with $400 notebooks. Btw, I have not heard much about islate. When is it expected to be launched?

4. rent college textbooks said on January 6th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I heard it would be $1000, but you hit the big question is it a mac or a big Ipod. People who want a tablet want Photoshop and with a finger I don’t know how that is possible.

5. Homer Jones
    Homer Jones said on January 7th, 2010 at 1:44 am

I think you’re wrong, but before I say I why I want to clarify that the price of the device including connectivity is what’s important.

Back to the device price, I think Gruber is correct – the tablet is destined to replace the macbook. Jobs wants to grow Apple’s under $1000 market and by offering a device more closed than a computer with the ability to purchase apps through the app store and receive limited subsidies from connectivity providers he will achieve his goal. All in all the tablet will cost less have a bigger market and profits than a macbook. It’s the beginning of the end for the laptop.

6. used tires said on January 8th, 2010 at 3:09 am

I think you’ve hit on some great points, I learned in my marketing class this semester that yes Apple is an innovator, like you said in one of your points. I also am not going to jump to too many conclusions on what it will or will not be, that just gives a person too many headaches doing that, lol. I will await the announcement =D

7. Brian
    Brian said on January 8th, 2010 at 5:01 am

“Apple risks cheapening its brand by selling a sub-$1000 computing device”

Have you ever heard of the Mac Mini?

8. emergency cash said on January 8th, 2010 at 8:27 am

I think the need for an even larger bottom line will force Apple to start producing cheaper products soon. Because of the industry they are in, eventually they will do it to keep up with demand.

9. Jacques | Web Development said on January 9th, 2010 at 7:33 am

While Apple has always been a premier, aspirational brand, the current economic situation dictates that spending power has decreased, so I think there is definitely room for less expensive Apple products in the lineup if they want to keep their sales figures up.

10. Ultrasonic humidifier said on January 10th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

There is no way Apple is going to sell something that is more than an iphone for less than an iphone (quite rightly), so this is >£500 – silly question really, (also it will probably be called ibook).

11. cordless tablets said on January 11th, 2010 at 5:56 am

I think that every new piece of technology is not so cheap and becoming available for moderate people is a question of future – will the device become so popular that it will be good move to start mass production over really large scale.

12. rent college textbooks said on January 12th, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Thorstradamus? I can’t go along with that. I can and do agree with you on your predictions. Something new in a small notebook designed for your fingers with an app that lets you make a phone call if you need to. Paul

13. Nicole Price said on January 12th, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I am inclined to agree with your three predictions. I suspect that whatever Apple comes up with will be to take on Google with its new entry into the mobile segment.

14. Evden eve nakliye said on January 16th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

15. Laptop Briefcase said on January 20th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

While a lower price may improve sales for such a device, it is still not in Apple’s best interest to price this too low. For one, it costs a lot of money to develop and manufacture quality products. Secondly, a low price lowers the value of the brand. Customers who have paid high prices for previous hardware may become bitter.

16. radyo dinle said on January 21st, 2010 at 8:23 pm

17. Bidet said on January 24th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Im sure the tablet will be expensive just because it has the Apple name on it. Most of the stuff released by Apple is expensive but people will still buy it because of Apple’s reputation of having great products.

18. Genie said on January 25th, 2010 at 10:14 am

No updates on islate? It still remains a rumour??

19. oyun said on January 25th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

20. Laptop Briefcase said on February 1st, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Well it is officially no longer just a rumor. They decided to name it iPad which to me is a worse name than iSlate or iTablet. The price levels are actually quite reasonable.

21. Table Tennis Cover said on February 1st, 2010 at 6:45 pm

To me the ipad definitely looks interesting, and has a few new features which caught my eye but overall I haven’t really seen anything which makes it stand out from other apple products, except maybe the size. But I must admit, the price does seem reasonable.

22. taoist meditation said on February 5th, 2010 at 2:23 am

Not a lot of information is know about the Courier, but it is rumored to have dual 7-inch screens that will support multi-touch, and be used for controlling the device, entering text, and drawing.

23. mortgage broker said on February 5th, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Looking at a recent survey on the rumored Apple iSlate tablet PC, it looks as though potential customers would be willing to pay $700 or so for the device.

24. Baba said on June 6th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Well, it will be hard to afford.

25. turkey toursk said on October 14th, 2010 at 6:42 am

I think you’ve hit on some great points ;)

26. seo expert nepal said on June 19th, 2011 at 3:44 am

I do not understand why they think I’m going to pay 600-800 dollars for a tablet PC. $ 800 will buy a decent laptop soon. Enough power for me to go. I do not look like they are trying to make a cheap ass, stick some shine on it and sell it for what would be a decent computer. I just think the two Tegra 1080p will most likely. And the media is the web about the only thing you’ll do with it. You arent going to touch typing a term paper or write an eloquent. Just seems pointless 2 me

27. RCA Ieftin said on November 7th, 2011 at 3:54 am

Hi there. Your article is extremely helpful. I discovered your blog by way of Google while searching I am really thankfull to you for sharing informations. I enjoyed to read such an interesting post, i’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    Keep going with fantastic work.

28. pharmacy without prescription said on December 2nd, 2011 at 12:52 am

Keep the good work.

29. jocuri barbi said on December 14th, 2011 at 8:27 am

You have to run move, to be resourceful, there are too many Reading which have no job at all! However you hard! keep up the good work

five + = 9