How to Cancel Norton Annual Renewal and Get Your Money Back in 10 Minutes or Less

• Written on: November 9th, 2009

When you buy the latest versions of Symantec’s Norton products, you are asked to establish a Norton Account.

This account retains the credit card information you used when you purchased your Norton (assuming you purchased or renewed online).

As a “convenience” to you, Symantec will automatically renew your Norton subscription when it is expiring using the credit card on file.  It will appear on your statement as “Norton *Annual Renewal”.

But what if you did not want to renew, choose to buy an updated off-the-shelf version, or even switched to another security software provide

When Did I Agree to Auto-Renew?

When you purchased or renewed your Norton software online there was a small text notification at the bottom of the shopping cart page with a checkbox that you were required to check to complkete your purchase.

As in most cases, the devil is in the details, so if you checked without reading, you agreed and that is why your card got dinged for the renewal.

How Do Opt-Opt of Norton Auto Renewal?

The easiest way to prevent an unwanted auto-renewal is to simply opt-out.  Symantec has made this inconvenient enough that many people may not do it, but it is not hard to do.

To opt-out, visit and log in using the email address you used in your original purchase session and the password you were required to establish when you purchased.

Once logged in, click on the renewal center link at the top of the page and cancel the auto-renewals on the desired products.

What is the Easiest Way to Cancel a Billed Auto-Renewal?

Unfortunately, canceling is a lot more difficult than the automated renewal process.  Thankfully, it can be done with the right information.

Here’s what you will need:

• The first 6 digits of your credit card number used for the renewal (if you have multiple cards on your bank account, you MUST have the one you used to buy initially)
  • The last 4 digits from the same card
  • The name on the card
  • The expiration date
  • The email address associated with your Norton Account (your log-in name)
  • Your order number (in the event you are trying to cancel an accidental purchase)

There are 3 ways to cancel your Norton Auto-Renewal after it has been billed to your bank account.

1. Call the toll-free number on your Bank statement – 1-877-294-5265
  2. Use Symantec’s online chat to cancel
  3. Fill out Symantec’s cancellation form

Call me a pessimist, but I don’t like to trust my refund to a fire and forget form.

I have tried the live chat option, but after a very long wait most of the associates did not know what they were doing and were unable to process my request.

After 5 hours of online chatting to get a $48.13 credit on my bank statement, I called the toll-free number.

The call made it to a live person in just a few minutes, and my refund was processed in 10 minutes.

Additionally, they removed the credit card information from my Norton Account all together so no other unintended renewals would happen in the future.

1. kim
    kim said on May 20th, 2011 at 6:59 am

Wow. Thank you. I have not used them in over 5 years and randomly I noticed the charge today. I am baffled. How in the world do they charge you after nothing for five years. How can this even be legal? I canceled it through my bank and am glad this information is online. I love the long wait time on the phones. They are not going to deter me. I will wait thirty min. if I have to. I can not believe that they get away with this.

2. jack
    jack said on May 28th, 2011 at 7:55 am

I was caught by the auto renewal twice and was told only this time can be refunded. If I do not get any happy answer I will report to the fair trading office in australia.

How many people got caught from Norton. We need to complain !!!

I will do it Monday.

3. Robin Hales
    Robin Hales said on June 8th, 2011 at 8:25 am

I was charged for a Norton Product used by my previous employer. A refund (and Auto Renewal cancellation) was easily obtained by using the CHAT facility on the Norton website. The whole thing took about 10 minutes at no cost to me. I was also offered a very good deal on a another year Anti Virus as a sweetener but didn’t need it.

4. Robin
    Robin said on June 8th, 2011 at 8:36 am

Automatic Renewal – After a great deal of lobbying by disgruntaled customers the South African government has against “automatic renewal” and outlawed it in early 2011. Maybe its time for the rest of the world to follow suit.

5. Steve
    Steve said on June 25th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thx for posting this information. After going through “Are you sure routine?” the cancellation process went very well. Good job!!

6. Val
    Val said on August 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I got a refund with no hassles at all by calling the USA number 1800 695 0678

7. Pip
    Pip said on September 30th, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I cancelled my auto renewal for Nortons and was still billed!! Then I had to ask for a refund. Be very careful about giving out your credit card details to Norton. They are very sneaky.

8. Rick
    Rick said on October 26th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Nice customer service Norton. My mother passed away in June 2011. This month I received a credit card statement for a visa card that I’d not yet been able to close due to probate. I had cleared all outstanding amounts on the card following her death, so I was surprised to see an auto renewal fee for Norton AV. I called to have the charge cancelled, but they said it is outside the 60 day reversal period… cute. I am sure my mother is getting good use of their AV product in heaven… That is yet one more example of why I will not permit anyone I know to purchase Symantec products.

9. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 3rd, 2012 at 3:26 pm

i want to know why , you guys still taken,, money from my account , i want to know how i can get my money back dont think that is fear,,

10. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 3rd, 2012 at 3:26 pm

you guys just go in my account take out money without contacting, the person, why taken off money from my, account,m i want to know who i can talk to,,

11. Thor said on January 4th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Seriously, for the one millionth time… I am not Symantec. I am not taking your money without asking. We advise you NOT renew online but instead do it through us so we can cancel the auto-renew feature. READ THE POST and you will get all of the information you need to know.

12. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 5th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

i need some one to contact, me i dnt have norton , so where is that an who gives you guys rite, to keep my account number, on your file that is a crime,,

13. joe
    joe said on January 6th, 2012 at 7:03 am

i have just cancled my renewal with norton chat, vipin was exellent in sorting
    it out for me, as i had changed my email address, i hadnt informed them, so
    therefor i didnt have an account to cancel,

14. Jon
    Jon said on February 2nd, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’m surprised but it didn’t take very long to do this. I called the number and the guy I was talking to did it quickly. That was as of today, 2/2/12. They said it would be somewhere in between 3 to 6 days for it to show on my account.

15. Liz
    Liz said on February 12th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This was very helpful. Thank you. Called and got things taken care of quickly.

16. Kate
    Kate said on February 23rd, 2012 at 12:42 am

Have been charged for a product that I havent had for 3 years. Settled easily by phoning my bank who in turn gave me a number to call, was on hold for awhile but patience prevailed and the operator assured me that my money would be refunded in 2-3 working days and I would not be automatically billed again.

17. David said on February 26th, 2012 at 11:24 am

18. Grace
    Grace said on March 2nd, 2012 at 7:53 pm

im never getting norton ever again after this! i got an email from them saying that they had taken 80euro from my uncles account to renew! sneaky, undrrhand company, im spreading the word to never use them again, il have to cancel asap

19. Gayle
    Gayle said on March 10th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Norton 1-877-294-5265 Anshu will credit the charge of $78.39 back to my credit card in approximately 3 business days and he terminated the Automatic Renewal so this will not happen again. I was not aware this renewal would happen automatically and indefinately, and no longer have the computer the program was purchased for. The whole process was completed in 10 minutes or less on the phone, and I was able to actually talk to a person without waiting.

20. Jerry Christenson
    Jerry Christenson said on May 1st, 2012 at 9:40 am

Call your Visa or Credit card provider tell them the charge is bogus insist that it is credited back. They will get somone from Norton on the line and you will be taken care of in minutes. Please be sure you tell them how unhappy you are with the Automatic defaullt billing practice.

21. Dr. Kamal Saab
    Dr. Kamal Saab said on May 14th, 2012 at 2:51 am

was able to cancel and get my money refunded, although it took about 1 week to show as a credit on my bank account. And this also cancelled future automatic renewals. This did really work, I suggest to try it.

22. Dr. Kamal Saab said on May 14th, 2012 at 3:00 am

Director of company Mr. Norton Annual
    I hope that you will cancel the Account for the coming year with you and demand you not to renew your subscription

23. Jason
    Jason said on May 16th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

That phone number doesn’t work. I called it and it sent me a text saying that I was now signed up for a service to give me information on that phone number for $9.99/month. I then had to cancel that too! This is BS!

24. Jason
    Jason said on May 16th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

ok, never mind. I dialed the wrong number. I’m an idiot.

25. Barb
    Barb said on June 13th, 2012 at 6:26 am

I NEVER sign up for auto-renewal yet, last night, I get an email that Norton charged me over $75 for their anti-virus?! Not only was this totally unauthorized, it was also over TWICE what I first paid for the product (and for THREE licenses?!)!!! At 11:30 last night, I called these people and the guy on the phone actually had the nerve to try and sell me the product for half the charge – FOR REAL??? After charging me for something I didn’t want thus causing me to waste time on a phone this late in the evening, you have the grapes to give me a sales pitch??
    Anyhow, I LOVE how it takes them a few minutes to charge my debit card….however, it’s going to take 5-7 days to have the refund processed. For me, NORTON now equals NEVER AGAIN! I never sign up for auto renewals and I always look for it at checkout. If I was enrolled in this thing like they say, it was totally buried in fine print and extremely deceptive. Totally annoyed I have to now wait days to get the money back into my checking account. Total BS!

26. Shar
    Shar said on June 16th, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for posting this – very helpful! I followed your instructions for both opting out of the auto renewal and a refund. I went through the online chat option and it was quick and hassle-free. Only needed to confirm the amount that was charged.

27. Happy Now
    Happy Now said on July 12th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thank you for this information! I did have to wait for 20 minutes on the chat option for someone to become available, but a mere 10 minutes later my refund was processed & my details removed from the database.

28. Brad
    Brad said on July 19th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

My card details held by Symantec had expired pior to renewal and to my surprise my bank still honoured their request for payment. I’m still trying to get a refund. I think this is pretty close to credit card fraud. Since the details they held including expiry date had already passed they should not have evn attempted to bill me.

29. Lindsey
    Lindsey said on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Just finished with the chat feature. The representative I chatted with was awesome and very helpful. It took maybe 2 minutes…. way faster than waiting on the phone for someone. 🙂

30. Yiannis
    Yiannis said on September 6th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

My credit card has been charged for Norton Annual Renewal and I don’t even have an account on that. What can I do to get my money back?

31. Sherron Perkins
    Sherron Perkins said on September 14th, 2012 at 4:54 am

All I want is my refund of 83.32. I called days ago was told it would be refunded back to my card that was on August 29 ,

32. Sunshine
    Sunshine said on October 17th, 2012 at 1:51 am

Thanks for this useful information. It ended my agony in less than 10 minutes. I was getting nowhere to have my Norton feature cancelled, which I purchased 2 years ago. I was being charged last year and thank God I saw this article and has just spoken to the Helpdesk and got this subscription cancelled and will be getting my money (which appeared this month in my credit card bill) back in 3 days. Whew ! A load off my shoulder !

33. Mike Night
    Mike Night said on December 13th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I had the same thing happen to me and this site definitely helped out. Got my full refund with no fuss (besides for waiting awhile for an operator).

34. Hilary said on December 24th, 2012 at 9:11 am

This was such a HUGE help! Thank you so much.

35. Mick.pritchard
    Mick.pritchard said on January 29th, 2013 at 7:26 am

I’m 60 years of age when I purchase the norton appliance on line I thought I was doing well and I was pleased with myself I now find that it was a hidden scam of sorts to take as much money off people as they can I don’t know how to get my money back as the email and log in name has changed and I have forgotten it I can’t afford to have any more money taken out of my account so I will have to cancel my credit card shame on you norton

36. Can Girl
    Can Girl said on January 29th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I wish that I had found this site about 5 years ago. That has been about how long I have been trying to cancel the Norton auto bill service. Every year I buy the program at the local Staples and every year the Norton auto renewal bills my credit card. I have tried calling them and getting different phone numbers to call, only to be put on hold (one time for more than 2 hours!) I have tried deleting my credit card info as well as not updating my credit card info and they still have been managing to charge me. They have never sent me an email saying they are charging me, I find it on my credit card statement! Frustation with Norton has now turned to a quiet optimism now that I have found their phone number, thanks to this site, and have called and cancelled the auto renewal. I won’t actually believe that this has been totally resolved until next year at this time when I see if they charge me again or not. I guess we will wait and see, but for now, I am satisfied that it has been taken care of. This drama has been resolved for now, but it will not be forgotten!

37. Alan Foreman
    Alan Foreman said on February 5th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Like many above, I too got a “surprise” on my Credit Card statement ! Not only had Norton taken an automatic renewal, I am still getting “pop-up” reminders that my cover has expired – even after they’ve taken a renewal ! I have unchecked the automatic renewal box. I phoned the UK support number at 10 p.m.[a “quiet” time of day], and I gave up after ages of listening to music and automated sales pitch]. Not sure how much this is costing me on phone !

38. Done with Norton
    Done with Norton said on February 6th, 2013 at 8:49 am

Got a similiar email from Norton regarding automatic renewal. I have logged into my account and cancelled my subscription, even though I was paid up till 2014, but there is another feature that I will “Automatically” be billed for March 7, 2013. WRONG – WON’T HAPPEN! I might be out $30 or so dollars, but Norton you just lost a customer permanantly ~ bravo (golf clap).

I’ll be cancelling and renewing my credit card no big problem there, since I know I can’t trust Norton at all, even though it clearly states on my Norton account that I have turned OFF the renewal feature. phhht, like I’m going to trust Norton now.

Finally, I don’t know about the rest of you, but Norton really slowed down my computer I was constantly turning it to silent mode. Glad to be moving on, guess I’ll be going shopping this weekend at Futureshop for a new virus program. Once I look over all the complaints and reviews of other programs, but I know it won’t be a Norton product.

39. Math Fail
    Math Fail said on March 19th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I purchased the basic Norton package last year for less than $30 — I know that it was on a discount, but it was basic and for only one computer — and then I suddenly find a nearly $80 charge on my bank statement this year because of the automatic renewal. The automatic renewal was the wrong coverage and for multiple computers instead of just the one. They didn’t even send me a courtesy email or receipt! I was planning on upgrading to the 360 package before renewal, but now I just want to cancel the subscription — I’m not trusting my internet security to a company that can’t even manage receipts.

40. Chris
    Chris said on August 13th, 2014 at 8:58 am

Just happened to me £45 taken from my credit card 2 months ago and laptop not used for some time & product not even downloaded. Used chat contact yesterday and have cancelled automatic renewal and have e-mail confirming this. The Norton product will never be used and I expect reimbursement of full amount. I think they might be infringing UK Trading Standards law so don’t know if something similar applies in USA. Not a great recommendation for this outfit. Dodgy trading methods

41. Kathryn Ohara said on October 18th, 2014 at 8:31 am

I am not satisfied with Norton 360 and want a refund of $52.99.

42. Kathryn Ohara said on October 18th, 2014 at 8:38 am

I always had Norton anti virus and had no problems. I purchased Norton 360 and my computer is all messed up. I want a refund for what I paid for Norton 360 which is $52.99.

43. Beth
    Beth said on February 12th, 2015 at 9:08 am

I am appalled that Norton does this shady if not illegal type of transaction. I did not give them an updated expiration date for my card. However they managed to guess the right date and send a charge through. I did not receive any notification, either pre or post debit. Since this came directly from my checking account, it could have been a costly disaster. Fortunately, I found it 24 hrs after the occurrence…they are refunding the money, but tell me it will take 5-7 business days for the refund to reach my account. I am done with Norton forever now.

44. Anthony Davis
    Anthony Davis said on March 30th, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I did not realize I had an auto renew. This morning I read an email saying my account had been renewed automatically for another year on March 30, 2015. How? I don’t have enough money in the bank to pay for it.

Besides I wasn’t going to use Norton 360 this time around. I found out how to get out of auto renewal but I had to chat with Norton Tech to get the money refunded and they managed it after I said I would not need a 50 percent option to renew since this product was no longer available and being replaced by the new Norton, Norton Security 2015. I was mainly afraid the bank would charge me but the bank was kind to me. It was less than 24 hours since the attempt to withdraw my funds by Norton from my bank so the bank said they would make sure I did not get penalized. I should have at least received an email a few days earlier to warn me of a pending auto withdrawal so I could have prevented all this.

If I had the money in the bank and didn’t know about the auto payment by Norton I would have paid twice the price for the renewal of an old Norton 360 from the new price for the updated version at around 49.00 compared to 97.41 they were trying to get out of my bank to renew 360 for another year.

45. chris
    chris said on May 6th, 2015 at 4:25 pm

wow! thank even now in 2015 for info on stopping auto-renew…worked beautifully

Go to and upload your preferred avatar.

Kim and I are seeking to adopt another child through Open Adoption. If you know of a birth mother seeking a stable, loving family in Nebraska, please direct her to our website at