How to Cancel Norton Annual Renewal and Get Your Money Back in 10 Minutes or Less

• Written on: November 9th, 2009

When you buy the latest versions of Symantec’s Norton products, you are asked to establish a Norton Account.

This account retains the credit card information you used when you purchased your Norton (assuming you purchased or renewed online).

As a “convenience” to you, Symantec will automatically renew your Norton subscription when it is expiring using the credit card on file.  It will appear on your statement as “Norton *Annual Renewal”.

But what if you did not want to renew, choose to buy an updated off-the-shelf version, or even switched to another security software provide

When Did I Agree to Auto-Renew?

When you purchased or renewed your Norton software online there was a small text notification at the bottom of the shopping cart page with a checkbox that you were required to check to complkete your purchase.

As in most cases, the devil is in the details, so if you checked without reading, you agreed and that is why your card got dinged for the renewal.

How Do Opt-Opt of Norton Auto Renewal?

The easiest way to prevent an unwanted auto-renewal is to simply opt-out.  Symantec has made this inconvenient enough that many people may not do it, but it is not hard to do.

To opt-out, visit www.mynortonaccount.com and log in using the email address you used in your original purchase session and the password you were required to establish when you purchased.

Once logged in, click on the renewal center link at the top of the page and cancel the auto-renewals on the desired products.

What is the Easiest Way to Cancel a Billed Auto-Renewal?

Unfortunately, canceling is a lot more difficult than the automated renewal process.  Thankfully, it can be done with the right information.

Here’s what you will need:

• The first 6 digits of your credit card number used for the renewal (if you have multiple cards on your bank account, you MUST have the one you used to buy initially)
  • The last 4 digits from the same card
  • The name on the card
  • The expiration date
  • The email address associated with your Norton Account (your log-in name)
  • Your order number (in the event you are trying to cancel an accidental purchase)

There are 3 ways to cancel your Norton Auto-Renewal after it has been billed to your bank account.

1. Call the toll-free number on your Bank statement – 1-877-294-5265
  2. Use Symantec’s online chat to cancel
  3. Fill out Symantec’s cancellation form

Call me a pessimist, but I don’t like to trust my refund to a fire and forget form.

I have tried the live chat option, but after a very long wait most of the associates did not know what they were doing and were unable to process my request.

After 5 hours of online chatting to get a $48.13 credit on my bank statement, I called the toll-free number.

The call made it to a live person in just a few minutes, and my refund was processed in 10 minutes.

Additionally, they removed the credit card information from my Norton Account all together so no other unintended renewals would happen in the future.

1. Jacques | Web Development said on November 12th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

It really grates my carrot that legitimate (or as close as an anti-virus business can get……I really have my doubts about the origins of viruses sometimes….) businesses have to resort to this kind of tactic to effectively steal your money. This kind of nonsense makes loads of people reluctant to part with their credit card details online, effectively ruining the party for many other, honest online vendors….

2. Laptop Briefcases said on November 13th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Those auto-renewal checkboxes are sneaky. They know that there will be plenty of people who completely forget about the auto-renewal. They are bound to get many people paying for renewals even when they don’t use the software anymore.

3. Genie said on November 14th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I have experienced such farce earlier as well (not with norton though) and I know how frustrating it is. It leaves such a bad taste in mouth and if Norton people are reading this, I seriously feel that they should analyse how many potential customers they lose bcoz of negative publicity from existing customers..

4. Paula Gerat said on November 20th, 2009 at 3:58 am

I don’t like lately Norton products. There were days that it was my favorite anti-spyware and anti-virus protector, but now it is too much for me. Their programs are making my hardware go slower and there is too much inside. Their programs should be much simplier.

5. May Barrett
    May Barrett said on November 23rd, 2009 at 7:32 am

I have had Norton twice automatically renew my subscription and I now know how to cancel the Automatic Renewal choice after reading your comments.
    Last year, I paid the bill, which went unnoticed on my Visa account, and bought and installed separate software, so I was covered twice by the same system! This year, I caught the automatic billing and did not install separate software. However, trying to contact Norton/Symantec is almost an impossibility and I don’t know if I will buy their products again. I certainly have cancelled the Automatic Renewal request which, by the way, I didn’t know I had! The way they get your renewal business is underhanded, in my opinion. Also, they keep notifying me that I have X number of days before expiry when I am paid up until August 2010. Thanks for your help as I won’t get caught this way again.

6. Peter said on November 30th, 2009 at 3:59 am

that is truly an awesome advice and I could actually appreciate it very much for being a victim of their sneaky ways, cheers :)

7. Dekoracje Tort said on December 2nd, 2009 at 5:29 am

Thanks for advice, I think that soon I resign from Norton, because it is to “heavy” for procesor. I Change it for Avira – heard that Avira is also good and free.

8. cash uk said on December 3rd, 2009 at 12:52 pm

@Barrett.. I have tried contacting them too for support and have had really some hard time.. but then its easy to understand given that so many people do use their products..

9. Cash Genie said on December 3rd, 2009 at 12:53 pm

10. letter writing said on December 4th, 2009 at 7:25 am

I work for a credit card company/bank and Norton does have an automatic renewal, but you have 60 days to call and cancel with them for a full refund.

11. cash back cards said on December 5th, 2009 at 7:14 pm

This automatic renewal stuff gets so annoying! I know it’s probably a great business or money maker. But, really come on! If I would want to renewal so badly leave it up to the actual customer to renew instead of just automatically ripping me of each year. Great post and this helped out a ton!

Thanks again!

12. emergency cash said on December 6th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I understand that auto renew can help a company earn extra cash but as a consumer I hate annual renewals. Thanks for this awesome tip.

13. Portable Defibrillator said on December 28th, 2009 at 4:13 pm

14. Colin Bryant said on January 5th, 2010 at 4:22 am

There is no UK contact number and the US number was engaged when I tried it. The call back form asks for a US format number and wont accept my UK number. I eventually used the ‘chat’ support – the assistant, Raja Gopal, was very polite and efficient and although I had to wait a few minutes he processed the refund and told me the auto-renewal was also cancelled for the future.

15. free beats said on January 6th, 2010 at 9:59 am

I don’t like lately Norton products.

16. free beats said on January 6th, 2010 at 10:00 am

I don’t like lately Norton products. ….

17. TOM McAREAVEY
    TOM McAREAVEY said on January 22nd, 2010 at 4:59 am

I had this problem with Norton taking re-newal fee from my bank account without even asking me. I then used their Symantec’s online chat, here i was able to cancel and get my money refunded, although it took about 1 week to show as a credit on my bank account. And this also cancelled future automatic renewals. This did really work, I suggest to try it.

18. Kanga
    Kanga said on February 3rd, 2010 at 7:28 am

Thank you so much for this information. It was extremely helpful and thanks to your advice I managed to cancel the auto renewal in about 5 minutes. I used the chat service. It was easy. Thank you so much!

19. Roxanne
    Roxanne said on February 10th, 2010 at 12:59 pm

My teen-aged daughter just had this happen to her checking account, same thing. I tried calling the toll-free number but was on hold forever and finally hung up. I used the above link to chat online and the problem was corrected in about ten minutes, and they made the appropriate changes so it wont happen again. Unfortunately this caused her to be charged an overdraft fee, so more paperwork at the bank to get that fixed also. Sigh… but the above information was extremely helpful in showing us how to get the problem fixed in a timely manner- thanks!

20. Pablo Edwards
    Pablo Edwards said on March 9th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

An absolute horrible experience with Norton. Recently received a charge for an auto renewal on a computer that fried 8 months ago. Been trying for 3 days now to get in touch with them. 60 to 90 minutes on hold each time with no pick up. I can’t email them because I don’t have all the info from the dead computer. Never again.

21. Bed tray table said on March 15th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

22. Todd Parker
    Todd Parker said on March 21st, 2010 at 7:16 am

Thankx good advise – I didn’t have all the information, but when I called they found it after a few minutes of searching and have reversed the charges. Like so many others I missed the checkbox (pretty unusual for me). I switched to ESET NOD32 (because of Norton’s heavy processor use on start-up as others mentioned) over a year ago, so I was surprised to see the charge on my account. It further surprised me because it was charged to an expired CC, how did that happen?

23. Joseph Foley
    Joseph Foley said on March 25th, 2010 at 10:57 am

I used chat and was told I would get a refund and my subscription canceled .
    This was 3/25/10. Let you know what happens. Amazing comments, but really
    describes Norton’s incredibly awful customer service. Should be sent to the CEO.

24. Anonymous
    Anonymous said on April 12th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Whenever I log into my Norton Account, I do not have any way of deactivating Auto Renew. Has the Norton Account page changed recently? When I tried to use the form, it said that it couldn’t accept my order number because the number had to be all numerals and the first two characters of my purchase were letters. Do I just delete the letters? Does anyone have a screen-print walkthrough for this process? Thank you.

25. Cast iron antiques said on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:48 am

This kind of nonsense makes loads of people reluctant to part with their credit card details online, effectively ruining the party for many other, honest online vendors.

26. CK
    CK said on May 17th, 2010 at 7:48 am

Thank you so much, the direction and phone number was spot on and it did indeed take less than 10m to not only get the charge reversed, but they also processed the opt-out for me.

Yous is now an RSS feed shortcut on my laptop and phone!

27. HVS
    HVS said on May 27th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

give me my fucking monny back!!!!!!

28. jon
    jon said on August 2nd, 2010 at 7:17 pm

you freaking rock! i googled the phone number on my credit card, found your site and got my money back. thank you so much! this is what the internet is all about.

29. Donna
    Donna said on August 5th, 2010 at 10:49 am

amazing…after speading 30 minutes on hold I googled the phone number and found this…it took about 45 seconds to complete. THANK-YOU

30. ks
    ks said on September 1st, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Thanks – this helped so much. I logged into my account and canceled the renewals! I hope that Norton changes this “auto” renewal. Why can’t they send emails and ASK their customers is they want to renew? If the product is as good as they claim, then we would all renew by our own choice. I have one more year with Norton, then I’ll go into a store and buy my own product without auto renewing!!! Thanks for this article – it was so easy to cancel.

31. emily
    emily said on September 4th, 2010 at 11:34 am

THANK YOU! after 15 mins on hold my issue was resolved. amazing! :)

32. alfred Dorman
    alfred Dorman said on September 16th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Ihave been on here for an hr and the problem is all i want to do is cancel the order 480-836-0280AZ the sum is90.03and my annual re newal is 59.77i will keep it. A dorman

33. allangabriell
    allangabriell said on October 21st, 2010 at 11:38 am

Thanks for the advise.i gave them a call after they charged me 69.99 and overdraft fee of 35.00!!! from my bank and they refunded everything even the overdraft!!woop woop.but still its such an inconvenience to have to go trough this. later and good luck.

34. kathiclaire
    kathiclaire said on November 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I was annoyed to find the automatic renewal on my credit card, but Norton was polite and accomodating on the phone. Of course it took 20 minutes on hold, but at least it’s done and won’t show up again. I agree this is a nasty tactic and they need to make sure people understand what they are signing up for.

35. Tia
    Tia said on November 6th, 2010 at 10:55 am

I just got hit with a charge too…been on hold for 25 min now. HOW ANNOYING!

36. Tia
    Tia said on November 6th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I was on hold for 90 min, then had a 40 sec conversation and got my money back!

37. jim
    jim said on November 16th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Last night I reviewed my credit card bill and saw the charge. I contacted them at the number on the credit detail and they agreed to remove the charge. I reviewed old credit card statements and saw they had also charged me in 2009, 2008 and I’m sure in 2007 but I can’t access statements that old. Their customer service representative told me he couldn’t do anything about the old charges and my credit card company said they couldn’t do anything about charges older than 60 days. I haven’t used norton since late 2006 or early 2007 but have paid for 4 renewals! An expensive lesson learned the hard way.

38. YUliana Berlinskaya
    YUliana Berlinskaya said on December 18th, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I just saw on my bank statement that you deducted $65.31 for The Norton Annual Renewal. I want to cancel my annual subcibtion as I no longer have a regular pc, which makes the use of Norton unneccesary. Please send me a confomation that the subscibtion is cancelled and return the money I paid. Hopefully the problem will be solved now. Sincerely Berlinskaya

39. Myra Brhlik
    Myra Brhlik said on February 18th, 2011 at 10:20 am

I want a refund for 3 automatic renewals that were charged to my credit card. I understand I have 60 days and all 3 qualify. None of the programs have been downloaded sodo not need renewal. Jan. 28, 2011 $54.11: Feb. 9, 2011 $64.94 amd Feb/ 14. 2011 $64/94. When can I expect the renewal and what else do I need to do. Myra Brhlik

40. Dani
    Dani said on February 27th, 2011 at 9:28 am

I had this renewal unoticed for 4 years, in my husband’s account, the one I barely check. I called and they gave me the $44.99 refund (the lastest charge) but they could not refund for the past years, however they did offer me to download the latest Norton with a free subscription of 2 years… I thought it was strange that they wanted to remotely connect in my computer to download. I asked for them to email me the offer and links, but he said he couldn’t do it like that. I already have an anti-virus, and after reading so many of you saying that Norton slows computer, I declined their offer… oh well…

41. jamie
    jamie said on March 19th, 2011 at 10:00 am

i try the trial verson and it crashed my computer and was charge when i look on my bank account charge of 79.99 still pending refund after being run around thanks for fyi info on how to get refund thank u for the help

42. Christine Uphold said on March 20th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I dont think its right I been trying to get ahold of these people to get my money back and no one will answer the phone. I purchased a norton product and didnt want to renewel at all. It was taken out of my card in feb 9 2010 $69.99 and I would appreciate it being put back on my card. I am giving this 3 days to happen and if not I will be contacting a lawyer. I am a single parent and I dont have that kind of money for people to steal it from me. I didnt even know it was taken out intil I just noticed. Christine Uphold.

43. Thor said on March 22nd, 2011 at 9:30 am

@Christine

Symantec does not monitor this blog, so you might try the online chart option instead of phone. They are not going to refund it unless you get in touch with them.

44. Ladybug
    Ladybug said on April 12th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Wonderful advice on canceling autorenew. It worked like a charm. Easy and simple. Thank you so much for your post!

45. Dottie
    Dottie said on April 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

For information on cancelling auto-renewal, call this number 877-294-5265.
    The gentleman that we spoke to was very helpful, beleive it or not. Our auto-renewal is cancelled and we will be refunded for a charge that shouldn’t have been. We were charged for another subscription after having purchased the same in January of this year. Press the 2 key option.

46. mahesh
    mahesh said on April 28th, 2011 at 5:42 am

hi guys i need nortan annuwal renuwal contact number.does anyone know number plz tell me ……….

47. nuss
    nuss said on April 29th, 2011 at 2:41 am

Thor, thanks for the advice. Norton debit my bank account for renewal of a subscription that I didn’t want and new nothing about. I was faced with obtaining reimbursement and demanding that my credit card data be removed from their system. Your advice given above worked well. I chose option one (called the 877 number) and in less than a minute had someone on the line. They were polite and reasonable, refunded my money, cancelled my subscription, and removed my credit card data from their system. They even sent an e-mail confirmation along with a confirmation number. At least they are an honorable company. I don’t think they were trying to rip me off…I think it was just an unfortunate glitch in the system. Thanks again.

48. Jeanne
    Jeanne said on May 4th, 2011 at 3:38 am

Thanks for the clear and precise information. Works like magic. I have just cancelled my Norton subscription and got a refund, through a chat session. Hats off to you

49. Megan
    Megan said on May 8th, 2011 at 12:32 am

Does anyone know that number to call if you’re not from the States? I’m living in Australia now. Thanks

50. Megan
    Megan said on May 8th, 2011 at 12:41 am

Ignore that – sorted via the online chat! Thanks

51. kim
    kim said on May 20th, 2011 at 6:59 am

Wow. Thank you. I have not used them in over 5 years and randomly I noticed the charge today. I am baffled. How in the world do they charge you after nothing for five years. How can this even be legal? I canceled it through my bank and am glad this information is online. I love the long wait time on the phones. They are not going to deter me. I will wait thirty min. if I have to. I can not believe that they get away with this.

52. jack
    jack said on May 28th, 2011 at 7:55 am

I was caught by the auto renewal twice and was told only this time can be refunded. If I do not get any happy answer I will report to the fair trading office in australia.

How many people got caught from Norton. We need to complain !!!

I will do it Monday.

53. Robin Hales
    Robin Hales said on June 8th, 2011 at 8:25 am

I was charged for a Norton Product used by my previous employer. A refund (and Auto Renewal cancellation) was easily obtained by using the CHAT facility on the Norton website. The whole thing took about 10 minutes at no cost to me. I was also offered a very good deal on a another year Anti Virus as a sweetener but didn’t need it.

54. Robin
    Robin said on June 8th, 2011 at 8:36 am

Automatic Renewal – After a great deal of lobbying by disgruntaled customers the South African government has against “automatic renewal” and outlawed it in early 2011. Maybe its time for the rest of the world to follow suit.

55. Steve
    Steve said on June 25th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thx for posting this information. After going through “Are you sure routine?” the cancellation process went very well. Good job!!

56. Val
    Val said on August 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I got a refund with no hassles at all by calling the USA number 1800 695 0678

57. Pip
    Pip said on September 30th, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I cancelled my auto renewal for Nortons and was still billed!! Then I had to ask for a refund. Be very careful about giving out your credit card details to Norton. They are very sneaky.

58. Rick
    Rick said on October 26th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Nice customer service Norton. My mother passed away in June 2011. This month I received a credit card statement for a visa card that I’d not yet been able to close due to probate. I had cleared all outstanding amounts on the card following her death, so I was surprised to see an auto renewal fee for Norton AV. I called to have the charge cancelled, but they said it is outside the 60 day reversal period… cute. I am sure my mother is getting good use of their AV product in heaven… That is yet one more example of why I will not permit anyone I know to purchase Symantec products.

59. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 3rd, 2012 at 3:26 pm

i want to know why , you guys still taken,, money from my account , i want to know how i can get my money back dont think that is fear,,

60. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 3rd, 2012 at 3:26 pm

you guys just go in my account take out money without contacting, the person, why taken off money from my, account,m i want to know who i can talk to,,

61. Thor said on January 4th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Seriously, for the one millionth time… I am not Symantec. I am not taking your money without asking. We advise you NOT renew online but instead do it through us so we can cancel the auto-renew feature. READ THE POST and you will get all of the information you need to know.

62. leander loftman
    leander loftman said on January 5th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

i need some one to contact, me i dnt have norton , so where is that an who gives you guys rite, to keep my account number, on your file that is a crime,,

63. joe
    joe said on January 6th, 2012 at 7:03 am

i have just cancled my renewal with norton chat, vipin was exellent in sorting
    it out for me, as i had changed my email address, i hadnt informed them, so
    therefor i didnt have an account to cancel,

64. Jon
    Jon said on February 2nd, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’m surprised but it didn’t take very long to do this. I called the number and the guy I was talking to did it quickly. That was as of today, 2/2/12. They said it would be somewhere in between 3 to 6 days for it to show on my account.

65. Liz
    Liz said on February 12th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This was very helpful. Thank you. Called and got things taken care of quickly.

66. Kate
    Kate said on February 23rd, 2012 at 12:42 am

Have been charged for a product that I havent had for 3 years. Settled easily by phoning my bank who in turn gave me a number to call, was on hold for awhile but patience prevailed and the operator assured me that my money would be refunded in 2-3 working days and I would not be automatically billed again.

67. David said on February 26th, 2012 at 11:24 am

THIS HELPED ALOT THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

68. Grace
    Grace said on March 2nd, 2012 at 7:53 pm

im never getting norton ever again after this! i got an email from them saying that they had taken 80euro from my uncles account to renew! sneaky, undrrhand company, im spreading the word to never use them again, il have to cancel asap

69. Gayle
    Gayle said on March 10th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Norton 1-877-294-5265 Anshu will credit the charge of $78.39 back to my credit card in approximately 3 business days and he terminated the Automatic Renewal so this will not happen again. I was not aware this renewal would happen automatically and indefinately, and no longer have the computer the program was purchased for. The whole process was completed in 10 minutes or less on the phone, and I was able to actually talk to a person without waiting.

70. Jerry Christenson
    Jerry Christenson said on May 1st, 2012 at 9:40 am

Call your Visa or Credit card provider tell them the charge is bogus insist that it is credited back. They will get somone from Norton on the line and you will be taken care of in minutes. Please be sure you tell them how unhappy you are with the Automatic defaullt billing practice.

71. Dr. Kamal Saab
    Dr. Kamal Saab said on May 14th, 2012 at 2:51 am

72. Dr. Kamal Saab said on May 14th, 2012 at 3:00 am

Director of company Mr. Norton Annual
    I hope that you will cancel the Account for the coming year with you and demand you not to renew your subscription

73. Jason
    Jason said on May 16th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

That phone number doesn’t work. I called it and it sent me a text saying that I was now signed up for a service to give me information on that phone number for $9.99/month. I then had to cancel that too! This is BS!

74. Jason
    Jason said on May 16th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

ok, never mind. I dialed the wrong number. I’m an idiot.

75. Barb
    Barb said on June 13th, 2012 at 6:26 am

I NEVER sign up for auto-renewal yet, last night, I get an email that Norton charged me over $75 for their anti-virus?! Not only was this totally unauthorized, it was also over TWICE what I first paid for the product (and for THREE licenses?!)!!! At 11:30 last night, I called these people and the guy on the phone actually had the nerve to try and sell me the product for half the charge – FOR REAL??? After charging me for something I didn’t want thus causing me to waste time on a phone this late in the evening, you have the grapes to give me a sales pitch??
    Anyhow, I LOVE how it takes them a few minutes to charge my debit card….however, it’s going to take 5-7 days to have the refund processed. For me, NORTON now equals NEVER AGAIN! I never sign up for auto renewals and I always look for it at checkout. If I was enrolled in this thing like they say, it was totally buried in fine print and extremely deceptive. Totally annoyed I have to now wait days to get the money back into my checking account. Total BS!

76. Shar
    Shar said on June 16th, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for posting this – very helpful! I followed your instructions for both opting out of the auto renewal and a refund. I went through the online chat option and it was quick and hassle-free. Only needed to confirm the amount that was charged.

77. Happy Now
    Happy Now said on July 12th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thank you for this information! I did have to wait for 20 minutes on the chat option for someone to become available, but a mere 10 minutes later my refund was processed & my details removed from the database.

78. Brad
    Brad said on July 19th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

My card details held by Symantec had expired pior to renewal and to my surprise my bank still honoured their request for payment. I’m still trying to get a refund. I think this is pretty close to credit card fraud. Since the details they held including expiry date had already passed they should not have evn attempted to bill me.

79. Lindsey
    Lindsey said on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Just finished with the chat feature. The representative I chatted with was awesome and very helpful. It took maybe 2 minutes…. way faster than waiting on the phone for someone. :)

80. Yiannis
    Yiannis said on September 6th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

My credit card has been charged for Norton Annual Renewal and I don’t even have an account on that. What can I do to get my money back?

81. Sherron Perkins
    Sherron Perkins said on September 14th, 2012 at 4:54 am

All I want is my refund of 83.32. I called days ago was told it would be refunded back to my card that was on August 29 ,

82. Sunshine
    Sunshine said on October 17th, 2012 at 1:51 am

Thanks for this useful information. It ended my agony in less than 10 minutes. I was getting nowhere to have my Norton feature cancelled, which I purchased 2 years ago. I was being charged last year and thank God I saw this article and has just spoken to the Helpdesk and got this subscription cancelled and will be getting my money (which appeared this month in my credit card bill) back in 3 days. Whew ! A load off my shoulder !

83. Mike Night
    Mike Night said on December 13th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I had the same thing happen to me and this site definitely helped out. Got my full refund with no fuss (besides for waiting awhile for an operator).

84. Hilary said on December 24th, 2012 at 9:11 am

This was such a HUGE help! Thank you so much.

85. Mick.pritchard
    Mick.pritchard said on January 29th, 2013 at 7:26 am

I’m 60 years of age when I purchase the norton appliance on line I thought I was doing well and I was pleased with myself I now find that it was a hidden scam of sorts to take as much money off people as they can I don’t know how to get my money back as the email and log in name has changed and I have forgotten it I can’t afford to have any more money taken out of my account so I will have to cancel my credit card shame on you norton

86. Can Girl
    Can Girl said on January 29th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I wish that I had found this site about 5 years ago. That has been about how long I have been trying to cancel the Norton auto bill service. Every year I buy the program at the local Staples and every year the Norton auto renewal bills my credit card. I have tried calling them and getting different phone numbers to call, only to be put on hold (one time for more than 2 hours!) I have tried deleting my credit card info as well as not updating my credit card info and they still have been managing to charge me. They have never sent me an email saying they are charging me, I find it on my credit card statement! Frustation with Norton has now turned to a quiet optimism now that I have found their phone number, thanks to this site, and have called and cancelled the auto renewal. I won’t actually believe that this has been totally resolved until next year at this time when I see if they charge me again or not. I guess we will wait and see, but for now, I am satisfied that it has been taken care of. This drama has been resolved for now, but it will not be forgotten!

87. Alan Foreman
    Alan Foreman said on February 5th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Like many above, I too got a “surprise” on my Credit Card statement ! Not only had Norton taken an automatic renewal, I am still getting “pop-up” reminders that my cover has expired – even after they’ve taken a renewal ! I have unchecked the automatic renewal box. I phoned the UK support number at 10 p.m.[a "quiet" time of day], and I gave up after ages of listening to music and automated sales pitch]. Not sure how much this is costing me on phone !

88. Done with Norton
    Done with Norton said on February 6th, 2013 at 8:49 am

Got a similiar email from Norton regarding automatic renewal. I have logged into my account and cancelled my subscription, even though I was paid up till 2014, but there is another feature that I will “Automatically” be billed for March 7, 2013. WRONG – WON’T HAPPEN! I might be out $30 or so dollars, but Norton you just lost a customer permanantly ~ bravo (golf clap).

I’ll be cancelling and renewing my credit card no big problem there, since I know I can’t trust Norton at all, even though it clearly states on my Norton account that I have turned OFF the renewal feature. phhht, like I’m going to trust Norton now.

Finally, I don’t know about the rest of you, but Norton really slowed down my computer I was constantly turning it to silent mode. Glad to be moving on, guess I’ll be going shopping this weekend at Futureshop for a new virus program. Once I look over all the complaints and reviews of other programs, but I know it won’t be a Norton product.

89. Math Fail
    Math Fail said on March 19th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I purchased the basic Norton package last year for less than $30 — I know that it was on a discount, but it was basic and for only one computer — and then I suddenly find a nearly $80 charge on my bank statement this year because of the automatic renewal. The automatic renewal was the wrong coverage and for multiple computers instead of just the one. They didn’t even send me a courtesy email or receipt! I was planning on upgrading to the 360 package before renewal, but now I just want to cancel the subscription — I’m not trusting my internet security to a company that can’t even manage receipts.

5 − five =