Your Computer Can Be Infected by H1N1 – Here’s How

• Written on: November 7th, 2009

If you listen to my weekly radio show, have had your computer in to Schrock Innovations, or generally have not been living under a rock for the past ten years, you know that you need to have security software on your PC.

You probably know that you need anti-virus software and you might even know you need a firewall program.

However, Secunia.com reports that many security suites attempt to detect threats when they arrive at the PC rather than preventing those threats by closing the doors they come through.

Your Computer Can Catch H1N1 – Here’s How

Most security software works in a similar way to your immune system.  Your immune system sees a new intruder, fights it and defeats it.  It then creates a set of detections based on that infection’s signature.  Your detections are supplemented by inoculations (definition updates) to teach your body how to fight intruders it has never seen before.

Now imagine that a new intruder comes along and smacks your immune system.  Imagine this infection is H1N1.  Your body has never seen it before.  Your body will probably beat the infection, but there is a chance it could get through and cause all kinds of problems, even death.

To help reduce the risk of being exposed to the virus you are told to prevent infection by reducing the number of infection opportunities – wash your hands, cover your cough, etc..

When is the last time you reduced the risk of being infected by washing your computer’s digital hands with some serious anti-exploit soap?

So Why Don’t We Do That With Our Computers?

We are all told to get our Microsoft Updates and update our security software.  While these sound practices help reduce some infection opportunities, Secunia.com reported recently that 28% of the applications on your computer are probably insecure.

That means that common programs that most of us use every day like Flash, Java, Skype, iTunes, and more may be out of date.  Software programs are constantly under attack by an ever more sophisticated culture of digital thugs seeking to use your computer for their purposes.

Recently these thugs are finding it easier to attack your insecure programs to gain access rather than your more heavily fortified Windows Operating System.

If you keep all of your applications patched with their most recent security updates, you are in effect reducing the possibility that any viruses or malware infections will find a way into your computer – you are in effect washing your computer’s hands with some really good anti-bacterial soap.

This doesn’t take the place of good antivirus software, but it helps improve your overall security picture.

Think You Are Up To Date?  Scan and See

I own and run a computer repair company.  I read all of the boring stuff online about trends, infections, updates and the like.  I would consider my computer to have one of the cleanest sets of hands around.

I decided to run a free scan from Secunia.com to see how many of my computer’s programs are not up to date with the most recent security patches.  I was stunned:

outdated_programs

Run the scan yourself and see how your computer does!

1. Liposuction Sarasota said on November 10th, 2009 at 1:29 am

Yes agree most of our application insecure to make it secure we have to keep clean and up to date using good antivirus software,

2. text sms said on November 14th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

That’s a new good learning for me. Didnt know that we need to update our software as well to keep them secure. Maintaining a computer requires much more effort than one thinks off.

3. Dana said on November 16th, 2009 at 9:42 am

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I ran the scan and 10 programs needed to be updated. I falsely assumed each of these programs would automatically tell me when I needed an update. I won’t assume that any more. Thanks.

4. Paula Gerat said on November 20th, 2009 at 4:00 am

This is very nice tip. I would check my computer’s appearance today and try to find some hidden moles and viruses. There is always a probability of catching a cold!

5. Laptop Briefcase said on December 1st, 2009 at 1:39 pm

That sounds like a very useful website. I’m sure most of us have some software that is out of date. That is essentially a big welcome sign for any hackers who exploit that software. Most people don’t stop to think that their other software can create vulnerabilities.

6. Imprezy said on December 3rd, 2009 at 11:43 am

It’s very interesting. I must clean my computer 🙂

7. Cancer Hospital said on December 8th, 2009 at 3:56 am

Most of application we using not licensed, when we use internet its naturally we inviting virus to infect our computers but such seriously never think about that H1N1 can harmful at much extent. now i luv to make clean and clear from h1n1(virus).