How do You Define Website Success?

• Written on: November 3rd, 2009

I had some conversations with a client recently about their websites.  This is a multi-million dollar company that operates over 12 websites that are used mainly to promote their other products and services.

Each of their websites was attracting less than 15,000 unique visitors and each visitor was consuming about 2.25 pages of content per visit.  They were not making any money on the websites and that’s why they wanted to talk to me.

Defining Success:

They thought their web statistics were great, and they thought they just needed to find the right mix of technique and opportunity to cash in on their traffic.

I was in the uncomfortable position of telling him that the stats were not that great – a good start – but definitely not capable of generating the six-figure return they were seeking.

How would You Define Success With Your Website?

That got me thinking about how success is really a relative term.  It means something different to every person based on their expectations and who they are comparing themselves against.

Some webmasters would be perfectly happy with a couple hundred dollars of income every month, while others would be looking for thousands.

What is your dream website income and how close are you to achieving it?

Developing a Plan and Executing

Obviously for my client we needed to bring more traffic to his websites before he would have any hope of generating the kind of money he confided to be “success.”

It always comes back to content.  Sometimes you can beg, borrow, or even steal it – but it always boils down to you making some of your own.

Do you generate enough content to make your dreams of website success a reality?

1. Kouba said on November 4th, 2009 at 5:25 am

Thank you! You often write very interesting articles. You improved my mood.

2. Jacques | Web Development said on November 4th, 2009 at 6:50 am

Success will always be relative to the customer’s expectations, and putting their expectations into perspective is a very important first step towards them realising the value that you have to offer. If they want to make money, they’ll have to spend some to implement your recommendations and internet marketing strategy. I trust you gave them a good quotation Thor, and am sure they’ll goi with your recommendations.

3. Richard Cummings said on November 4th, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I define website success as being able to live the life that you want solely through generating income online.

If someone wants to generate income online, I find that the numbers that they need to achieve are as follows:

15,000 hits a day = roughly $100 guaranteed per day…maybe a little more.

Thus, use that data to extrapolate what you would like to earn each year and then get to work!!!

4. ATV for Sale said on November 4th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Good point about varying levels of expectations. Before taking on a web design or website marketing project, it is very important to know what the client expects. This can drastically change how long things will take and how much it will cost.

5. Liposuction Sarasota said on November 5th, 2009 at 1:10 am

Success of Website can measure in two terms first Visits/Visitors of Website or How Much $$ earning at end of the month for most people $ quite important, yes for that perfect planning and perfect execution on time most required.

6. kolorowanki said on November 5th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Thanks for this article, really are very interesting. Best regards from Poland. I am sometimes visiting this blog.

7. Jayvie said on November 6th, 2009 at 6:38 am

for me, a successful website is earning a decent money, have great content, many visitors and have great google PR

8. used tires said on November 8th, 2009 at 4:48 pm

If anything I would say anything in life is relative really… anyways my dream website income is to be at least $100 per day, but i am still very far away from it, but nonetheless I am pushing hard for it! =D

9. Dekoracje Tort said on November 18th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Pink is perfect colour for women (very feminine), it’s the same marketing strategy, which is with mobile phones, ipods etc.

10. Dekoracje Tort said on November 18th, 2009 at 11:22 am

ooo, sorry Thor,
    I made mistake. I don’t know why, but I opened two posts of your blog at the same time and I have written comment on wrong bookmark.

11. Paula Gerat said on November 20th, 2009 at 4:02 am

It is not easy to define success at all. It depends: what do you want to get? Money? Fame? Friends? If you want to achieve something and you are achieving that – this is success. But that is only my opinion.

12. Kelowna real estate said on December 1st, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Great comments! I think that for most, a successful website is one making money, has great content, many visitors and has great google PR

13. Imprezy said on December 3rd, 2009 at 11:50 am

UU=2*pages=success 🙂 better than E=mc2 🙂

14. Genie said on December 3rd, 2009 at 12:57 pm

15. Genie said on December 3rd, 2009 at 12:59 pm

For me success would be below 30% bounce rate with lot of direct visitors and visitors from brand related keywords. Given these conditions, it would be obvious that we can monetize the visitors on the website very effectively..

16. Genie said on December 3rd, 2009 at 1:00 pm

17. Çizgi film izle said on December 5th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for this article, really are very interesting.

18. free beats said on December 8th, 2009 at 7:04 am

Thanks for this article, really are very interesting.

19. cheap college textbooks said on July 13th, 2010 at 8:03 am

Thats funny we have a company like that as well. They are one of the best and don’t need to market themselves a lot, but their website is atrocious. You would think they would have spent a bit more time and money off a site that could potentially double their profits.