Alpha Anti-Virus Fake Alert Hitting Computer Users

• Written on: October 29th, 2009

alpha-anti-virusAlpha Antivirus is the latest fake-alert virus that is afflicting computer users on the Internet.

This variant popped up in late September, but is gaining traction as injected websites begin drifting to the top of search engine results.

How Do You Get Infected?

These fake alert infections typically come into your computer through internet web searches on search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing.

The makers of these fake-alert infections create thousands of websites with valuable content on subjects they can easily rank in the top 10 results of popular web searches.

After these sites climb to an appropriate level, click-jacking code is inserted that will infect unprotected computers as soon as they visit the page – without warning.

Typically the only symptom of impending infection is a pop-up that warns you that your computer is infected (when it is in fact not).

How Do Keep My Computer Safe?

The best way to keep your computer safe is to have good virus protection software installed on your computer.

While technicians disagree to a degree on which program is the best to use, my opinion (based on HUNDREDS of infected PCs that Schrock Innovations has repaired) is that free antivirus like AVG is a problem waiting to happen.

I recommend Symantec’s Norton 360 software.  It offers some of the best protection on the market while also featuring the most user-friendly interface.

Those who are have had bad experiences with Norton in th past because it slowed dow their computers should note that the newer versions are MUCH lighter than the older versions (although any antivirus software will slow down your computer).

1. Dana said on October 29th, 2009 at 9:46 am

Thanks for the alert on the fake-alert virus.And thanks for the info on the best antivirus software. I’ve been wondering about some of that free stuff available. They usually have a free version, and then an offer to upgrade to a premium version. Any idea if the premium version of something like the free AVG is any better? Or would I just be paying for the “problem waiting to happen” instead of getting it free?

2. lenders uk said on November 1st, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for updating us, though I am surprised that AVG is not a good choice.. I have been using it since some time and am quite a fan of it. What exactly is the problem with it?

3. no fax said on November 1st, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for updating us, though I am surprised that you find AVG is not a good choice.. I have been using it since some time and am quite a fan of it. What exactly is the problem with it?

4. Laptop Briefcase said on November 2nd, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I too have been using AVG for a while, but I realize that it is not the safest choice. Obviously free anti-virus software is not going to be as robust as the top tier paid anti-virus software. I know what you mean about past versions of Norton being too memory-intensive. That is exactly the reason I use AVG instead of Norton. Still, I’m comfortable being somewhat protected for free instead of paying to be a little more protected.

5. ATV for Sale said on November 4th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Has anyone actually had experiences of AVG not being secure enough? I hear a lot of people doubting its security, but still so many people rely on it. I would think it does a pretty good job at protecting you from viruses. It just depends on whether hackers decide to target that software and exploit some kind of weakness.

6. Cartuse imprimanta said on November 4th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

These criminals should be tracked and it looks like they are in cahoots with Yahoo. Alpha antivirus came up exacctly at the same time as Yahoo settled in on my desktop..unasked and unwanted. I hate them. Deon from South Africa.

7. Tuomas Mölsä
    Tuomas Mölsä said on November 19th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Which is why your program can not be deleted from your computer. It is the only disadvantage koneellani. I have not even asked for your service.

8. Rolland Stetsen said on December 1st, 2009 at 10:27 am

Excellent information on alpha antivirus. I spent last week trying to remove it without paying. I used a few free methods but in the end i ended up paying my friend to remove it. He showed me some tricks that you mention in simply running a good anti-virus program to remove alpha antivirus and then keep it from coming back. Thanks again for the tips!

9. Çizgi film izle said on December 5th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for updating us!

10. will lawrie
    will lawrie said on March 8th, 2010 at 5:21 am

FYI AVGFree 9.0.733

11. will lawrie
    will lawrie said on March 8th, 2010 at 5:23 am

FYI AVG Free 9.0.733 detected and quarantined FakeAlert virus

12. will lawrie
    will lawrie said on March 8th, 2010 at 5:26 am

Further. I’ve been using AVGFree inconjuction with Windows Firewall on WinXP.Vista,and WIN7 behind a router for years now and the combination has been FAULTLESS.