Questionable Geek Squad Hiring Practices Targeted in Schrock Innovations Commercial

• Written on: November 3rd, 2008

Love the Geek Squad or hate them, there is no doubt that Best Buy’s money and Robert Stephens’ marketing have been a force to be reckoned with in most local computer repair markets.

While scandal after scandal expose the Geek Squad’s tenancy to hire questionable technicians, their raw marketing muscle as well as point of purchase pressure tactics give the Geek Squad an unearned advantage over their local counterparts.

Geek Squad Abuses Customers’ Trust

Just imagine if any local computer repair company did any one of the following things:

If any of our local competitors would have done any one of these things it would be a business death blow.

Geek Squad’s Questionable Hiring Standards

I mentioned in a previous post that Schrock Innovations is running a series of 12 commercials throughout 2009 on Channel 10/11 in Lincoln, NE that will contrast and compare our service offerings against those offered by the Lincoln Geek Squad.  Watch the first commercial titled “Hired” here:

This commercial comically highlights the Geek Squad’s hiring standards and will air tomorrow night during the election results where it is sure to be seen by tens of thousands of people in Lincoln NE.

Tell the Truth About Geek Squad

If you have been a victim of the Geek Squad, or have a service story to tell, feel free to post it below.

If you would like a copy of this commercial to place on your website, feel free to embed our copy from YouTube, or download the commercial directly using this link

1. Armen Shirvanian said on November 13th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I have noticed that names for groups that present the individuals of the group in an elevated way tend to quickly seem inappropriate when wrongdoing is done. If this group was called Computer Repairpeople instead of Geek Squad, they might not have as bad of a reputation. At the same time, they have built up quite a record of improper use of customer belongings.

2. Kathy
    Kathy said on November 23rd, 2008 at 2:11 am

I must admit that my initial impression of the commercial after the first viewing was that it was hilarious, but maybe a little bit harsh. However, having just barely survived a marathon of errors by the Geek Squad with laptop warranty repairs, I’ll happily vouch for the validity of your ad. The traumatic details of their ineptitude are too numerous to list here–suffice to say that I was without my computer for three weeks and had to return it to them three times before it was finally fixed properly. They actually sent it back from the service center with a bad RAM, and evidently didn’t even know it. Were it not for the fact that I paid several hundred dollars for the ridiculous warranty, I would never have endured this mess…but felt I needed to get something for my investment…a mistake that will NEVER again be repeated. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Best Buy after hearing about their financial situation in the news because of a serious drop in sales – a company that has absolutely no concept of customer service in this economy deserves to fail.

3. Thor Schrock said on January 26th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

@Armen

I don’t think it matters in this case what their name is. In fact, it is a pretty catchy name. I think this has more to do with the reputation they have earned for themselves.

4. Thor Schrock said on January 26th, 2009 at 6:12 pm

@ Kathy

I am sorry you had a bad experience. The sad thing is that when economic times get tough the first thing company’s tend to cut are people, and that has a direct impact on service levels.

As flawed as they are, I am sure there are some good people working for the Geek Squad in places. Its a shame that they have to suffer for the ineptitude of most of the others.

5. Joe
    Joe said on April 9th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I find it sad and funny that the best marketing this company could come up with is taking a shot at their competitors. I can imagine the marketing team now…

“Well, there’s really nothing remarkable at all about Schrock Innovations, so let’s just slam the Geek Squad and hope their pissed off customers come to us!”

Brilliant.