Block Tor List WordPress Spammers

• Written on: August 18th, 2008

I was reading a post on Shoemoney.com about how he maintains such a low comment/spam ratio on his posts.  He gets a ton of comments and obviously doesn’t read them all, so how does he sort out what gets posted and what is spam?

One of the biggest things he points out is that most comment spam that makes it through Akismet comes from the open list of proxy IP addresses referred to as the Tor Proxy List.

In one swift motion I added every single Tor IP address to my blog’s comment moderation blacklist.  Here’s how you can do it too:

Step 1.  Open your WordPress Admin Panel (www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin in most cases)

Step2.  Left click on the Settings link in the top right corner.

Step 3. Left click on the Discussion option

Step 4.  In a new tab open the most recent Tor list in text format.

Step 5.  Highlight and copy the complete list of Tor IP addresses

Step 6.  Scroll down to the Comment Blacklist section and paste in the Tor list you just copied

Step 7.  Left click the Save button at the bottom of the screen

That’s all there is to it!  You have just blocked a huge majority of the spammers on the web from posting a comment of fake trackback to your wordpress blog.

1. Andy Crofford said on August 19th, 2008 at 11:12 am

Thor, thanks for the info. On a related note, for some reason anytime you comment on my blog Askimet blocks it. I have no idea why.

2. Thor Schrock said on August 20th, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, I have noticed that on some of my own blogs as well. Heck, even my own trackbacks are going to Akismet Spam.

I think its because I started using Shoemoney’s related blog posts tool. On the page it warns you it’s powerful and to be careful. I guess I know what they meant now 🙂

3. app
    app said on September 1st, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Do these IP addresses change? How often does one have to update the list in their admin panel for this to be most effective?

4. gry planszowe said on December 17th, 2009 at 11:03 am

The list URL doesn’t work. Maybe sb can post this list here.
    I would also suggest to block all the .ru and .cn class which stand for Russia and China cause more than 50% of spam i coming from this countries.

5. Contrave said on February 16th, 2010 at 8:35 am

Sounds like a good idea, I have never heard of the Tor proxy list, I will give it a try. I wonder how has it been working for you? This post is from 2008 I would love to hear an update.

6. The Woodlands Texas said on March 20th, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for the great info. I am in the research phase of building my own blog and am still looking for solutions to this potential problem.

7. Ronald Brown said on March 23rd, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Most people using a proxy list have probably already been banned for spamming or worried that their IP will be banned so they use these proxy’s I’m sure.

I wonder if there is a way to block all proxy servers on my blog to avoid even more spammers.

8. Rainwater Barrel said on April 17th, 2010 at 3:07 am

Thanks I just added this to my blogs. I hope it will cut down on how much time I deal with editing comments.

9. Inexpensive Laptops said on April 20th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Thanks. Going to have to go through all of my blogs now and change this over. Looks like a really easy way to help prevent the countless spam comments out there.

10. trueprotein said on April 20th, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Akismet is one of the best things that ever hit wordpress. This advice is still valid today as there are a multitude of spammers using xrumer etc. to automate blog commenting.

11. Compost Tumbler said on April 24th, 2010 at 2:51 am

Dealing with spam takes up too much of my day. I am going to try this and hope that it cuts down on how much time I spend on it. Thanks

12. Teen Giro said on April 30th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I think that spam is NOT NICE! I hate it when people spam my blog. I love it when people leave valuable comments that add to the discussion though. It’s funny, sometimes you don’t know whether or not someone is a spammer so this list should help me a LOT! Thanks!! 🙂 🙂

13. starWholesale jerseys said on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:18 pm

14. PHP Tutorial said on May 7th, 2010 at 9:41 am

I think its because I started using Shoemoney’s related blog posts tool.

15. Thor said on May 18th, 2010 at 11:24 am

Yep. That’s what nipped me. Email them, explain what you did. They know shoe and what his tools do. They will lift the ban.

16. SJL Web Design said on May 9th, 2010 at 11:45 am

Great tip Thor, thanks for sharing it, hopefully it will help cut down some of the spam comment/trackbacks we get on our blog.

17. Hoover s2220 said on May 14th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That’s a really sweet feature. I just went through all my blogs and hooked it up. I’ve always wondered why Akismet lets so much crap through, sometimes I don’t even activate the plugin.

Thanks

18. Dailymissed said on May 19th, 2010 at 6:55 am

This is a great way to block wordpress spams..shoe shared some cool tips over there

19. Wealth Education said on May 27th, 2010 at 8:06 am

Great tool for WordPress lovers. At least, this tiresome job can now be automated.

20. DC web design said on June 11th, 2010 at 10:59 am

I ll try that today I hope it works.

21. Yellow Shower Curtain said on June 13th, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I just hooked up the copy/paste on on my personal blog- worked like a charm, and saw an instant reduction in spam the next day.

22. Ev Yemekleri said on June 16th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

When you first start up a site you don’t mind getting few spam comments here and there since you are excited on reading them all, but after a while it gets such pain in the neck.

23. Solar Panels said on June 28th, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Nice Information! I blocked over 500+ spammers of my blog

24. web design nottingham said on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Great post, didn’t heard of that proxy list, will try right now these, thanks!

25. webdesign said on July 14th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Keep on the good work! Nice Information! I blocked over 500+ spammers of my blog

26. Gevalia Coffee Club said on August 10th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Good tip. Even though my wine blog doesn’t seem to get much spam, my fitness blog got so much I finally just started deleting it all. I’llt ry this to see if it helps.

27. Webdesign Bergen op Zoom said on August 11th, 2010 at 9:20 am

Thanks for this tutorial! My own company blog is having a lot of trouble dealing with all those comment spammers. Fortunately now I know exactly how to take care of all of them at once! Got any more great tips to fend off these spammers?

28. seth le said on August 17th, 2010 at 11:29 pm

yeah shoemoney knows what he is talking about. great info. What i think you guys can try doing is looking on google for premade blacklist ips so that you can maybe load it somehow onto your backend comment prevention apps.

29. HGH
    HGH said on September 18th, 2010 at 7:30 am

30. HGH
    HGH said on September 18th, 2010 at 7:49 am

31. sunglasses said on September 20th, 2010 at 10:20 am

i think there is no such premade list of ips that can be load on backend comment prevention apps. also all the time appears new and new ips blacklisted so it will be hard to clean it up.

32. Peter Shalson said on October 24th, 2010 at 7:06 am

usually for those living in US or UK or countries like that , they gain 1 static IP , other countries like Vietnam or India have dynamic IP , every time they login their IP changes and make this in-effective , using proxy will make this in-effective as well.

33. wrist weights said on November 2nd, 2010 at 3:30 am

I found this weblog rather helpful. The particulars and exact recommendation are specifically what I was wanting. I’ve book marked and will definitely be returning.

34. Kantoormeubelen said on November 7th, 2010 at 6:41 am

Good tip, but I happen to know IP-addresses can change time from time for users. It’s not that visitors are locked down to 1 IP address forever. That can change in the meantime though.

35. website laten maken said on November 14th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Great tip although filtering based on IP-adress isn’t that save I guess. Real spammers might have a workaround for this.

36. financial crisis said on December 2nd, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! My own company blog is having a lot of trouble dealing with all those comment spammers.My latest project are about global crisis.

37. blog financial crisis said on December 5th, 2010 at 4:42 am

Amazing! I blocked over 500+ spammers of my blog

38. marquee linings said on December 6th, 2010 at 4:55 am

thanks , this just helped a lot , but I think you can use Akismat for this as well , it’ll be a bit troublesome to moderate every single comment , but still more effective.

39. Current Business said on December 10th, 2010 at 9:42 am

Askimet is quite effective, but a lot of spam does still tend to get through. I am always concerned comments from interested readers get lost within the mass of spam comments.

40. Website laten maken said on December 11th, 2010 at 9:57 am

Very nice, i blocked 100+ spammers of my blog. Thanks for sharing!

41. erd
    erd said on January 23rd, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thats a great tip thanks a lot, this will help with a lot of the proxies available too!

42. supplements said on March 1st, 2011 at 7:58 am

Great one that Tor Proxy list, Akismet don’t help entirely though.

43. Carrick said on September 14th, 2011 at 1:08 am

Hello There. I ran across your webpage the usage of yahoo. It is a quite nicely published content. I will be sure to book mark it and get back to learn further of the practical information. Thanks for the publish. I’ll absolutely returning.