Be Careful Who You Defend Online

• Written on: June 25th, 2008

One of the cool things about the Internet is that it allows you to project yourself form what would normally be a small, obscure office to a much larger online community. While this is a huge asset for some people, it can also be a massive problem if you are not careful in the blogosphere.

Ty HurdFor example, I was VERY quick to defend someone I thought I knew, Ty Hurd, when Shoemoney called him out because I had an inside line with him and trusted what he said.

It turns out that I was WRONG to defend this person and a simple Google search would have revealed the fact that his past was more checkered than I would have expected or been comfortable with.

Of course, I learned this too late and looked like a fool for standing up for a guy who sold $90,000 worth of stolen art that he took from his ex-wife’s family.

As soon as I knew I started distancing myself form him, but the damage was done.  I learned a valuable lesson today.

Your credibility is only as good as your words lead it to be.  I am sorry to everyone who listened to what I said and believed it.  Thank you to those who shoe’d me the facts.

1. Tom
    Tom said on June 25th, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Did you recoup the cost of his plane ticket? 🙂

2. Ty Hurd said on June 25th, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Here’s the whole story: http://www.tysblog.com/2008/06/25/bad-news-and-the-truth/

This should explain it better than I can in a comment…

Sorry Thor.

3. Jessica
    Jessica said on June 26th, 2008 at 2:04 am

I, being Ty’s fiance’ had to chime in here…Ty is a great guy. The newspaper article made it worse than it really was. Ty’s ex is a bi-polar, drug addicted gold digger (with a lot of money). That affords her to hire expensive lawyers and pull all kinds of strings. If you’ve been through a nasty divorce, you know how emotions get.
    Ty has worked really hard for this show. People who he thought were his friends are acting like little girls. shoemoney just seems like the school bully. We were both so excited for him to go to Nebraska. Give him a break.He is a loving partner, and Father. Thor, Ty is the same guy you liked before. Even writing a POST about someone until you have talked to them is really underhanded. He feels bad enough.

4. Thor Schrock said on June 26th, 2008 at 8:56 am

Guys, I am trying to put this unfortunate situation behind me and writing this post let me get everything out of my system and move on.

I am divorced too, and I know the crazy things that can happen in the heat of the moment. I never was upset about that and if Ty’s probation officer would have let him come, even knowing everything else I would have still had him.

The last words Ty and I had was him telling me this situation was my fault
    because I violated his trust and told the production staff what was going on. That’s when I decided my energies were better spent on the show and the other contestants at the moment.

Did Ty really expect to be on a huge reality show an NOT have someone Google him?

The comment I posted on Shoemoney’s blog was approved by Ty BEFORE I posted it. He let me lie to Shoemoney for him, lie to the other contestants for him, and use my online reputation to represent a situation differently than it was.

I know Ty feels he got the raw end of the deal and maybe he did. But that doesn’t change the fact that he simply left out information about going to jail and selling stolen art.

Ty knew he was a mathematical lock for the show when he received a base score of 9 in the voting process (with an awesome video I might add) over five weeks ago. He knew he would need permission to leave.

So here I am now, about $2,000 set back from the whole process, because a contestant made a mistake in his past, made a mistake in not paying any of his restitution to this point, a mistake of not requesting permission from his probation officer more quickly, the mistake of letting me use my personal relationship with Shoemoney to defend him, and the mistake of allowing me to ask the other TAC contestants to defend him as well.

I understand the catch 22 Ty is in and I understand it is possible that this is just really one big mistake, but at some point I have to look at a situation and say maybe it is better for me, the show, and the other contestants, sponsors and employees if I just walk away before another mistake happens.

I am not angry with Ty anymore, I just feel like I was sucked into the whole situation and was manipulated. Ty REALLY wanted to be here and we all REALLY wanted to have him. I seriously *and I mean this* hope that Ty can get things together, audition for next season, and make it on the show.

On a final note, Shoemoney is a personal friend of mine and he is not a school buddy. He calls it like it is, and whether anyone likes it or not, Ty did some things that were not cool, and he got nailed for it. Its not his ex wife’s fault, or Shoemoney’s fault or my fault. One of the reasons Dan (Ty’s probation officer) did not let him come out for the show is because he felt Ty did not take the situation seriously and tried to shift the problem onto his office.

Ty is a smart and very talented online marketer and I know he will find a path through this and have a wonderful life in the end. When all of this settles down and gets resolved, I expect to hear from Ty Hurd again.

5. the Story Lady said on June 26th, 2008 at 8:59 am

Well, this is more and different drama than you wanted, I’m sure.

Ronda

6. Jessica
    Jessica said on June 26th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

You can say all you want about Ty and pass judgment. He did call his probation officer for 2 weeks while he was in the top 10 and didn’t get a return call until last Monday.
    You didn’t have to say anything other than that it was “personal”. Yeah if someone had Googled him sure, it would have come up, but it was YOU that expedited that. After telling him that you wouldn’t say anything. Why does it even matter what he did?! You knew he was on probation, not parole, and you could have left it at that.
    You were right to defend him. I thought that it was a really stand up thing to do. You weren’t lied to, and what you said in his defense was right on.
    If you were defending your wife or child, and you killed a man, you would be a murderer. Those are the facts. But, if we knew what the circumstances were that led you to do that, we might not be so quick to judge. It sucks, the position you have all been put in but everyone abandoning him without knowing the real story is really immature and hurtful for a man that would help anyone.
    Shoe does NOT “call it like it is”. He calls it like he thinks it is. There was no reason for using Ty for great press.Not saying anything would not have done any harm. If people want to extol Shoe for being a harsh jerk at others expense so be it. He may be a personal friend of yours, but your friend is a prick..
    Use some real empathy, if you are capable, and put yourself in Ty’s shoes. That’s all I ask.

7. Ty Hurd said on June 26th, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Thor, I did try and get a hold of my probation officer for some time. It took him two weeks to get back in touch with me as apparently he was on vacation. I called him with what I thought was enough time advance notice.

And again – I’m sorry.

8. Ty Hurd said on July 15th, 2008 at 9:13 pm

LOL – I just noticed you added the nofollow to the link to my blog in your post… Man, I really wanted the link love… jeeze…