I Want to be a Video Whore?

• Written on: November 8th, 2007

I am a bit new to the video marketing game online, but I can cut a clip when I need to. When I was on Next Internet Millionaire I met a guy named Charles Trippy and he had a way with editing that captured interest and held it.

It was new to me at the time, but I later learned the method was called “quick cuts.” I didn’t think too much of it, but after today I might be doing a LOT more “quick cut” videos.

I posted this video on YouTube this morning as a video response to Charles Trippy. To be funny, I edited it in his quick cut style – something totally out of character for me.

I was SHOCKED to find it has more than 80 views already from that one response alone – no additional marketing required.

Granted, most of the activity on the clip is because it was a response to Trippy, who gets thousands of views on his videos. But I am beginning to wonder how much of the response is because of the informal editing style.

I totally understand that 80 views is NOT VIRAL and is nothing to normally write home about. But for a Thor Schrock video, its magical 😉

1. James said on November 8th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Ahaha nice one..
    The sudden popularity of your video might have something to do with the WHORE tag 🙂

2. bratthetthai
    bratthetthai said on November 8th, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Nice video
    Take a look at the videos I’ve posted online
    See if you like them

3. Brent said on November 8th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Quick cuts, I will have to remember that….nice video Thor.

4. browie said on November 8th, 2007 at 11:15 pm

I LOVE IT. I actually was laughing. That was VERY good.

Idk if I should post this but my real friend in linc. is Brigitte at http://www.tvsquad.com/category/tv-squad-daily/

She’s real good with quick cuts. Thor, take a look, you may get hooked just like Trippy she has a fairly good following too. I wanted her to take Shoe’s opening but she has other things going for her right now.

5. Bulbboy said on November 9th, 2007 at 8:21 am

166 views now and 3 comments now. Something must be working.
    =)

6. Thor Schrock said on November 9th, 2007 at 8:33 am

@James… The whore tag can only help, right 🙂

7. Thor Schrock said on November 9th, 2007 at 8:34 am

@browie.. You see, when is the last time I made you laugh? I do serious and business very well, but humor and bubblegum have never been my thing. Maybe some eiting can make me funnier… I have a couple more ideas to test this out without the whore tag over the weekend if I can find the time.

8. hanji said on November 9th, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Very nice. Video has always interested me. I’m curious about your take on the effectiveness of video marketing.

Sure it brings a lot of visitors to the site, but are they converting visitors and will they be returning visitors? I do agree with Trippy about watching someone explain something is better than reading a explanation or pitch on a web site. I personally like that.. but to me.. those aren’t viral or generally popular. What seems to be viral are goofy videos that don’t do anything, but give me something to do while I’m on hold on the phone.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.. and see what others have to say.

hanji

9. Thor Schrock said on November 13th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

In my opinion the video is valuable as content, but more valuable as a traffic generation tool. I didn’t do it in the Video Whore response, but in a lot of my videos I am placing bottom third banners with a promotional message and a URL.

I am trying to drive traffic TO my sites FROM the videos as they are found online through Youtube, Google Video, or other places. A great example can be found at http://www.viralrelationships.com.

10. Kevin Sherman said on November 15th, 2007 at 8:10 pm

I thought you might be interested in reviewing the Bubble Guru platform as an esay alternative to get video messages on a web site.

At the core of the Bubble Guru platform is a unique video message player that actually floats above a web page, so there’s no need to redesign a web page to make space for a video.

It also features an automatic bandwidth sniffer that weeds out dial-up users and lets a site owner decide whether or not to “auto-launch” a message automatically, as different approaches work best for different needs.

Check it all out at: http://www.bubbleguru.com

Oh, and be sure to check out a recent spotlight which describes how one of Bubble Guru’s clients is experiencing dramatic increases in their ecommerce conversion rates by using the platform:

Enjoy and hope this info helps some of you out!

11. Thor Schrock Is A MySpace Sellout said on January 19th, 2008 at 2:34 am

[…] the mystery remains unless you want to read more about being a viral video whore yourself, but one of the most important questions you should […]