My Next Internet Millionaire Farewell Post

• Written on: November 1st, 2007

Thor and Jacob at Platte River State Park**This post was approved by the producers of the Next Internet Millionaire**

It felt very strange to watch Episode 11 and relive many of the emotions I felt that day while in the Judgment room.

I went in to that competition as Thor Schrock and I walked out again as Thor Schrock and that was important to me.

What some of you may not know is that Joel’s politician comment was closer to home than he might have realized at the time. A few years back I flirted with a run for mayor of Lincoln, NE – a city of about 125,000 people at the time.

I was very young, less than experienced in politicking, and probably not the most qualified candidate in the field.

As I learned some of the ropes and met with people I found out how easy it is to lose who you are when people around you want you to be something you are not. If you are not rooted solidly in who you are and what you believe, you can be pulled off your moral compass a little at a time until you are a completely different person than when you started.

Joel Comm Is Not Handing Out Success

Throughout the competition I always wanted to win, and I hoped it would be me working with Joel on a JV project. But I managed to stay grounded by my core belief that no one in life is going to hand you success. Joel Comm can’t do it, Eric Holmlund can’t do it, even Donald Trump can’t do it. Success can be found in every day, and in every opportunity (which IS what Joel is offering) if you are determined, patient, and most of all, steady.

The most important thing to me in this competition (or game, or whatever word we can all settle on) was that I was not going to walk in there and be something that I wasn’t. I still had the opportunity to develop a killer idea and bring the right people together to execute it. There was no loss in my involvement with Next Internet Millionaire.

Your Questions Answered

Some of you have had some questions for me, and I have been unable to answer them until now. Here are three of the most common ones I have been asked over the past couple weeks:

1) Do you and Jason Marshall still talk, or are you two going to have a guest appearance on the next UFC match?

What many viewers may not know is that Jason and I were roommates for the last two days of the competition. We shook hands and buried the hatchet that day, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for who he is. In fact, Jason has a seminar coming up called Back to Basics Crash Course and I wish him nothing but the best.

2) If you had Episode 10 to do over again, would you do anything differently?

To those who have voiced question about my honesty, integrity, or actions on the show all I can ask is that you speak to me and find out for yourselves what kind of a man I am. I can tell you for certain that if a friend in my future asks me for an opinion about a situation, I will still give her my honest assessment regardless of who disagrees.

I can also tell you that my business partners know that I will not walk into a competitive environment and disclose all of our assets and liabilities to our competition before we compete just because my competitors ask for the information.

I did not do anything in the competition that I would not go home to my mother and defend (and after she watched episode 10, Lord knows that’s what I had to do).

It is very surreal to watch people saying such hateful negative things about you while you are unable to respond because of a non-disclosure agreement.

Once the show is concluded and I am free from the agreement, I could probably offer explanations that would change a lot of minds out there, but by that time I think the negative comments will have been long forgotten by everyone involved. If you still have questions at that time, please contact me and I will be happy to sit down and have a straightforward, unbiased conversation about what happened and what was emphasized.

3) If you have learned so much while you were there, what have you done with that knowledge since you were eliminated?

It has been a constant whirlwind of activity since my elimination both personally and professionally. My company has launched an awesome new computer system for the Christmas season. I also launched an awesome new online remote PC support service (SEE JOEL & MARLIN! IT WOULD HAVE WORKED J), and I have added more than 300 new customers I the past 2 months alone.

I haven’t earned that first million yet, but my wife does want a new Kia Rondo – everyone has to have goals J

Thank You to the NIM Editors and Producers

I was really happy that the producers left my thank you message to my supporters in at the end of the show. There were three charities I was sponsoring with my appearance on the show – the Lincoln Crisis Pregnancy Center, the Lincoln Lighthouse, and the Neil Schultz Gift of Hope Fund for ALS victims.

They, as well as many of my customers and supporters have diligently followed the show each week and have called or emailed to congratulate me on advancing through the ranks.

If it were not for their support I probably would not have been on the show at all, so I owe the entire experience to those who voted for me, those who promoted me, and those who rooted for me each week. You all have my thanks from the bottom of my heart.

With that, I am departing the Next Internet Millionaire stage a winner, and my son is thrilled to have me at home again doing what is truly important in the big picture. I will take my seat with each of you now and watch Charles and Jamie battle for the title. Don’t turn that dial, because something tells me this is going to get VERY interesting

1. browie said on November 1st, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Excellent try Thor and it still was a game and you played the game very well, politician or not.

2. Stuart Stirling said on November 2nd, 2007 at 9:53 am

Hi Thor,

Just finished wathcing episode 11 and honestly thought you would make it through. For me you seemed like the man fopr the job..but I’m not Joel Comm. Good luck in the future.

Stuart Stirling

3. Brian Cotsen said on November 3rd, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Hello Thor

As a viewer in the United Kingdom I have watched the last 11 episodes with great interest.

I had considered entering the auditions myself, and would loved to have experienced the whole show and of course taken on board the knowledge that you and your fellow contestants were exposed to… so many Internet gurus that I have come to know over my time building up my businesses.

But back to the show.

As I said I have watched it from a very British viewpoint, and I was interested to see how others reacted to the ‘business of business’.

I didn’t think that your strategy was in any way unacceptable.

As you said, What company lets their competitors see their hand?

I am sure that you aren’t going to say anything against Jason, but I think that his attitude was rather pious and frankly childish. And just to add, I didn’t think much of his constant finger pointing which didn’t seem to sit too well with his ‘beliefs’.

As far as JVs go I thought that you, Alisande & Charles were the most likely JVs purely because you all have an open attitude and aren’t wedded to just one concept.

Now I also realise that we were watching, essentially, a game show and that, what all game shows need is Jeapody so I don’t take the outcome too seriously.

I won’t be surprised to see you in a joint venture with Joel or one of the other top flight internet business men in the future so good luck and …

Yes I’ll be watching next week to see who gets crowned… I suspect that Trippy will finally make it to the top.

4. Tom
    Tom said on November 3rd, 2007 at 6:04 pm

A gracious ending to what I’m sure was a educational journey. Congrats on even giving it a try, that is more than most would attempt.

5. Thor Schrock said on November 3rd, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Thanks Brian and Tom. It was an unbelievably educational experience and I learned a lot from it – both about internet marketng an about business relationship building.

I am the last person who is going to criticize Jason or anyone else publicly who was on the show. Jason was obviously popular on he show (check out his blog and the comments from Episode 10).

I think the biggest thing any of us contestants could do at his point would be to do whatever is possible to encourage the development of a season 2 of the show in some form or another.

The amount of work to do this production was monumental on Joel and Eric’s part, and I am not certain that a season 2 is a dead ringer at this point.

6. Brian Cotsen said on November 4th, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Hello Again

I would love to see a season two and will be writing to Joel to let him know how well it’s been received over in the UK.

I believe that Joel said that they are considering taking the show to TV, which I think would work well.

I can fully appreciate what it’s like behind the Scenes, having been involved with main stream TV over in the UK. I’ve been on the crew of a few lifestyle shows myself.

But back to you and your persuits. What’s on the cards in the near future?

I would imagine that a JV may well be struck, off screen, between yourself and any one of the presenters that Joel bought along to share their knowledge.

Anyway I am sorry that I have only managed to leave a comment for you towards the end of the show…. work has kept me pretty busy and I haven’t been surfing around to see other peoples comments as much as I normally would.

Thanks again for a great show.

Regards

Brian

7. serge said on November 5th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Thor,
    You blew it man. You could have won if you were going up against Jamie in the end. I think it will be charles who is going to win, although I am probably wrong.
    So, have you been able to use all of the techniques that you learned from the show yet in your own ventures? One NIM didn’t touch on is coding, and where to get it done. Do you have a good code guy, I need one for a site I am going to do. I would like to have Shoemoney’s code guy, who wouldn’t right?
    Of all of the people on that show, I think you are the kind of person I would be friends with. I like how you think outside of the box. Here is a riddle that will require you to think outside the box.
    ‘There once was a man who lived on the 25th floor. Every morning he would get into the elevator and push the number one and go to the first floor and go to work. When he comes home from work he would enter his apartment building then go into the elevator and press 20 and then walk the five flights of stairs to his floor to go home. This he did every day… Why?’

answer this question, and you will be the next internet riddle solver (j/k)

Take care man.

8. Ben Mccoy said on November 7th, 2007 at 1:37 am

Thor, I’m jealous! What an experience the competition must of been. Win or lose I’m sure it was an awesome learning and networking opportunity. I only wish I could have heard all of what the “guest experts” had to say instead of just a few clips.

I think you presented your personal brand and your skills very well on the show, sorry you didn’t make it to the end. I’m sure it was tough being away from your son and can imagine he’s thrilled to have you back. Congrats on the 3rd place finish 🙂

9. Ben Mccoy said on November 15th, 2007 at 1:07 am

Just checked out the latest episode, man only one more week and you would have been in a JV! Oh well, everything happens for a reason right?

10. […] received an email a couple days ago from a woman who had seen me in Next Internet Millionaire and wanted some advice on starting her own home based internet […]