Grant Money for Families Seeking to Adopt Children from Within the United States

• Written on: June 9th, 2007

As you may or may not have read on my previous post, I am working to earn a chance to compete for $25,000 on the web’s first reality show, the Next Internet Millionaire.

If I am able to win the competition, I plan on donating the $25,000 to various charities. However if I win, I will also be setting aside some of that money to give to families who are trying to adopt children from within the United States.

My wife and I adopted our son Jacob last August, and he instantly became the light of our lives. We suffered through the adoption process and the emotional roller coaster that comes with it. I know first hand the challenges – both personal and financial – that come with adoption. I also know that it is TOTALLY worth it when you finally take your bundle of joy home.

There are tons of adoption scams out there (isn’t that sad?) so rather than launching a new website to do this, I thought it would be best to do it here, in a place that is open and accountable for all to see.

I would like to hear from families who are seeking to adopt. Post your adoption story as a comment below. Please fill out the email field with your correct email address (I am the only one who sees it). If you have an adoption website, feel free to post your URL in the provided space so others can look at your website too.

You can be as detailed or as vague as you would like. I will be reading the stories if and when I win the competition and I will decide which families get the grant money based on the story they tell on this blog.

So there it is – you have nothing to lose, and you might get some free money to help handle your pending adoption just for posting a story here that you can probably tell in your sleep.

You can help me make it on the show and boost my chances of winning by voting for my audition video. I will be posting a link here as soon as the video is produced and uploaded.

1. Sam Fredrickson said on June 9th, 2007 at 8:53 am

… How do we know the money is going to go directly to charities? We would have no proof that 100% of the prize money would go directly to charity. That is a lot of money and it may eventually go to charities or could sit in your bank account for months or not years while you decide. By then the public will have forgotten about it and the remainder would conveniently sit in your account “waiting” for an adoption family who needs it.

2. Peter Allman
    Peter Allman said on June 10th, 2007 at 2:59 pm

I am president and founder of Lighthouse…a non-profit that Thor contacted. I believe Thor will follow through with his pledge, and I will follow through after the event.

Pete Allman
    President of Lighthouse

3. Thor Schrock said on June 10th, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Pete. I can promise you that the money will not stay in my account for years.

First I have to win the money, then I have to get the money, then I can award it. That’s as complex as this gets.

I was not obligated to give this money to anyone, but I felt it was the right thing to do. People always talk about giving back, and if I come into an unexpected sum of money that large it would be a perfect opportunity.

I will also post here after the money is awarded so at least people know that I held up my end of the bargain.

4. Neil Finsand
    Neil Finsand said on June 10th, 2007 at 3:34 pm

My name is Neil Finsand and I am the Director of the BryanLGH Foundation. The Foundation recently (May 19th) held its Inaugural Neil Schulz Gift of Hope ALS Benefit. A colleague of Thor’s shared information with him about our event. I was pleased to receive a call from him a couple of weeks ago asking if he could include the BryanLGH Foundation and the ALS Benefit on the list of beneficiaries is he is successful in his efforts. Naturally we said yes. I have no reason to believe that he will follow through with his intentions if he makes the cut. We look forward to supporting him as he moves on and we look forward to putting any proceeds to go use in the fight against Lou Gehrig’s disease.

5. Angie said on June 15th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I just want to commend you for your willingness to share with others. I have more than one friend who was scammed in the adoption process here in the US. I have one daughter and now that I am a single mom, I know that bringing another child into my life means adopting. I’ll do it one day. In the meantime, best of luck to anyone who responds to your offer with true need.

6. Vote for Good Cause | The Unprotected Blog said on June 24th, 2007 at 11:39 pm

[…] Thor Schrock is participating in a contest called The Next Internet Millionaire. He has already made to Semi-Finals. Now he is trying to win the seat in the reality TV show and raise $25,000 fund for local charities. […]