Clicking on Your Own Google Ads? A Step by Step Guide Saving Your AdSense Account

• Written on: May 1st, 2007

I will start this post off with a disclaimer. If you are a scammer who is looking for a way to steal money from Google’s advertisers by clicking on your own ads, don’t read any further.

Disclaimer #2. If you are a scammer who clicked on your own ads and are now banned by Google for life, don’t read any further. Your chances of reversing a Google ban for invalid clicks is nil.

OK, with that out of the way, I should only have panicked people left who accidentally clicked on their own Google AdSense ad for some reason. Stop panicking – its not the end of the world. Here is a real-life example of how to handle an accidental click that should have never happened.

Step #1. Record the date and time of your click as well as the website the ad was presented on and the advertiser that you were directed to.

Step #2. Log into your AdSense account and click on “Help” in the top right corner of the screen. Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Contact Us.”

Step #3. Place a dot next to “Invalid Clicks or Unusual Account Activity” and then a dot next to “I accidentally clicked on my ads” and click Continue. Fill out the form with your contact information as well as a polite, and detailed explanation of what happened, when it happened, and where it happened.

Step #4. Submit your explanation and then wait for the email from the AdSense team (usually arrives within 2 days).

Why do I know so much about this process? Because I have been through it. I saw an ad on my blog that genuinely interested me, and before my brain could catch up with my mouse, I had clicked the link and was taken to the advertiser’s website.

Here is what I sent to Google:

From: thor_schrock@hotmail.com
Subject: Can’t log in
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:38:18 -0700

I accidentally clicked on one of my own ads from www.thorschrock.com at
about 8:34 AM.

The Ad was titled “I was scammed 37 times.” Please do not credit my
account for this click and please do not charge the advertiser for the
impression/click.

I am sorry for any trouble this may have caused. Thank you.

And here is what Google sent back to me within 24 hours:

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the clicks on your ads. We appreciate
your honesty and your efforts to keep your account in good standing.
Although publishers are not permitted to click on their own ads for any
reason, we do understand that accidental clicks may occur, so we don’t
require that you contact us every time you click on your ads.

For your reference, you can find tips and guidelines for keeping your
account in good standing by visiting

If you were clicking your ads out of interest or to see who was
advertising on your site, we suggest the AdSense preview tool as an
alternative. This tool will allow you to check the destination of ads on
your page without the risk of generating invalid clicks. For more
information, please visit our Help Center at

Lastly, you can learn more about viewing the URLs of your Google ads by
visiting https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=9876.

Thanks again for your email. We look forward to working with you in the
future.

For additional questions, I’d encourage you to visit the AdSense Help
Center (http://www.google.com/adsense_help), our complete resource center
for all AdSense topics. Alternatively, feel free to post your question on
the forum just for AdSense publishers: the AdSense Help Group
(http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help).

Sincerely,

Max
The Google AdSense Team

Obviously, if you don’t install the tools Google recommends to handle situations like this in the future, repeated “I’m sorry” emails will eventually fall on deaf ears. But for those of us who are honest publishers that made an isolated mistake, The Mighty G is a forgiving beast.

1. SEO blog said on May 1st, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Getting banned from Adsense is an area I’m all too familiar with. Unfortunately innocent accounts and webmasters can be banned and once that happens, Google is a lot less forgiving and a lot less understanding.

You might be interested to read this article I wrote a while back about how anyone can cause your Adsense Account to be Banned.

2. Arpit said on May 5th, 2007 at 5:20 pm

No one can cheat cheat Google. Google is a big boss.

3. Tont T
    Tont T said on May 7th, 2007 at 8:06 am

Hi I have just signed up to google adsense and have joined for a week now, and in the last 7 days my money started earning good revenue but now its been getting less and less,although im blogging more and more, I dont know if someone has hacked into my pub ID.
    help please!!

4. Thor Schrock said on May 7th, 2007 at 8:23 am

Tony, what is your website URL? I would be happy to take a look at it.

Normally when people abuse someone else’s publisher ID it is an attempt to generate MORE clicks and get the person in trouble with Google – not the other way around.

Whatever you do, do not click on your own ads or encourage others (privately or publicly) to click on your ads. Google catches almost everyone who cheats eventually, and if they catch you they ban you for life based on your tax ID number.

5. Garry Conn said on May 7th, 2007 at 6:10 pm

Nice post man… very nice. I knew about the preview tool but that doesn’t help when you, without thinking, accidently click on your own ads…

6. Peter P.
    Peter P. said on May 9th, 2007 at 10:58 am

Making money with clicks is a good source of income but can be a little trouble some as you have already found out. I’ll have to look more into Googls adsense and see if its worth my time.
    Thanks for the info.

7. tony t
    tony t said on May 9th, 2007 at 11:06 am

Hi i just got your reply ,I failed to mention that it all started when i signed up to a free advertising service called http://bloggershomepage.com and although it says free service im wondering if they are taking a percentage of my earnings?
    Also Im wondering that when i get friends to download the firefox and google packages , will they hace to install them aswell for me to be able to create revenue?

ps my blog websites has just started so I am a bit too embarrased to post here as theres such little content as yet , but watch this space,,

cheers

8. Hercule
    Hercule said on May 31st, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Hi,

I wonder how google machines identify if the owner is clicking ads on their site. What if some other user(may not be the owner) repeatedly clicks on the ads will the account still be blocked?

Cheers.

9. Rahul
    Rahul said on June 12th, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Hi,

i have a google adsense account and my current balance is more than 40$ and i’ve mainly earned all the money by clicking on my own ads…the way i do it is tht i have an airtel brodband connection and each time i connect to the net my ip gets changed so i keep clicking on my ads! and get revenue!!!!!

10. Thor Schrock said on June 12th, 2007 at 12:38 pm

That is seriously not a good idea! First off, some people believe that Google does not use cookies or IPs to track usage. I bet you have the Google Toolbar installed 😉

Also, Google looks for click patters, pages viewed, diversity of IPs across ISPs and geographic location of clicks.

Bookmark this page and come back after Google sends you your first check. Something tells me you will get an email instead…

11. Seafury
    Seafury said on June 17th, 2007 at 7:46 pm

So what if you aren’t an American, and you didn’t have to supply a tax id to subscribe to adsense. how can they stop you from just signing up a new account?

And what if you spoof your mac address and surf through a proxy and don’t have google toolbar installed? As well as making sure you surf a few of the pages on a site you clickthrough to, and spread your clicks out during the day instead of all at once.

12. Chris Garrett said on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:01 pm

3UIsCm you Internet the Why On it is! so think? ,

13. Eliza said on December 7th, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for this, I think this was the “FIRST” real response I have seen besides one of those blogs that always state just don’t do it. I too have been interested in my own ads, I haven’t been that fast but I normally pop open a new window and type in the address.