DoFollow and Top Commentators – My Blog’s Birthday Gift to You

• Written on: April 20th, 2007

This month marks the one year anniversary of the launch of the Thor Schrock Technology Blog. In the past 12 months we have progressed from a few page views each day to more than 1000 unique daily readers (now if I could just get them all to install the Alexa Toolbar).

I work hard to bring a wide variety of content to my readers every day. This takes a lot of effort, but is totally worth it when my readers comment on the posts that I write.

To thank all of you for a great year of growth I have decided to loosen the reigns a bit by installing the dofollow and top commentators plugins. This means that when you comment on an item and include a URL with your name, that URL will now be counted by Google as a backlink.

In addition, I am including a SITE WIDE top commentators box in my sidebar that will reward my site’s top 10 commentators by giving them a free backlink as well.

Obviously, this can be an invitation for spammers, so I have also installed some counter measures to prevent the most egregious spammers. If I think you are comment stuffing, I will pull your comments, so please respect the opportunity and play by the rules.

I appreciate all of your comments (yes, even you ‘Listener’) and I am looking forward to another year of great progress to come.

1. Garry Conn said on April 20th, 2007 at 12:32 am

Congrats! on the first year of success. I am sure that every year will continue to be successful for you and the site.

2. coop said on April 20th, 2007 at 2:51 am

Hey Man thanks for always visiting my blog and leaving comments! just figured i’d repay the favor! (i like you site btw, oh and your footer is way to the right in Firefox2)

also check out my new post on Yahoo and China

3. Garry Conn said on April 20th, 2007 at 2:57 am

RE: Footer….

Same in IE7 man…

I figured you were doing some maintenance or work still on the sidebar so I didn’t say anything to you about it just yet… but I guess you should know.

FF2 and IE7 Footer is off to the side directly below the Categories list.

4. Thor Schrock said on April 20th, 2007 at 7:33 am

Thanks for the heads up guys. Silly /div tags… That is exactly why you should not code when you are tired 🙂

5. Thor Schrock said on April 20th, 2007 at 7:37 am

Do you guys see the “Are You Gay” ad at the top of this post? I reported the ad to Google.

6. Garry Conn said on April 20th, 2007 at 1:44 pm

I have been seeing that one for awhile… it has been upseting many in the blogosphere. I hope that Google will have the advertiser change that one.

7. TeamTutorials said on April 20th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Do Follow is a great plugin.

8. Josh the Aspie said on April 20th, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Hey, glad to hear I’ll be getting some more backlinks for my blog, thanks! I may need to look into getting one of those side-bars myself.

Are there any anti-spam pluggins you’d recomend in particular? And if so, why?

9. Bill Tones
    Bill Tones said on April 22nd, 2007 at 8:32 am

Congratulations on one year! Keep the good stuff coming!

10. Bob
    Bob said on April 26th, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Happy late birthday 🙂

11. Susan said on April 26th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Excellent post and congrats on 1 year ! I can’t even imagine where my blog will be in a year. I found your blog through a DoFollow plugin search related to my latest challenge the DoFollow Pingback Challenge. Hope you pop over and take a look.

12. MoneyNing said on June 10th, 2007 at 1:58 am

Great! Thank you for doing this. I’m happy enough with the top commentator plugin so I won’t put up too many spam links.

Thanks again and happy anniversary!

13. Hobo SEO Scotland said on June 18th, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Happy birthday! We removed the Nofollow tags from our news blog and we’re more than happy with the feedback so far.

Shaun