What’s With the Google Toolbar Lately?

• Written on: April 16th, 2007

My Google Toolbar has become a much appreciated accessory in my browser window. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I visited the Google website to conduct a search – I just run them through the toolbar.

But both my wife (3.8 GHz XP Home 1 GB RAM) and myself (1.6 GHz Dual Core, Vista Ultimate, 2 GB RAM, 512 ReadyBoost) have been noticing the toolbar has been really slow for the past couple days. We are both using the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar.

When I type a search into the toolbar and press enter, I have to wait up to 15 seconds for the search to execute. Sometimes I have to click 2 or three times on the “go” link to get a results page.

A new version of the toolbar was automatically downloaded to all users a few days ago, and I am suspicious there might be a glitch. Google suggests that the toolbar’s PageRank feature might be the culprit, but I use that feature and do not want to disable it.

If you are having problems with the toolbar let me know so we can narrow the problem and post a response. If your toolbar seems slow too, please post your operating system and browser name (IE, FireFox, etc…)

1. dj69man
    dj69man said on April 17th, 2007 at 8:21 am

I noticed the same thing, although it seems better today. Maybe they were updating something?

2. Bill Tones
    Bill Tones said on April 18th, 2007 at 9:35 am

Mine is ok too. I didn’t notice any outages on my end.

3. Josh the Aspie said on April 18th, 2007 at 11:21 am

I’d weigh in, but I don’t use the Google tool bar at all.

Any of the functionality that I want from it either comes built into Firefox , or is available as a plugin with a smaller footprint that doesn’t reduce the size of the content area.

And keep in mind, having a tool bar increases the load time of your browser, and is also always running resources, which will often slow your computer down.

4. julie said on October 6th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

just bought new laptop. uses vista & IE7. VERY slow when typing letters into Google toolbar. Glad its not just me. Will investigate further.

5. Pat
    Pat said on October 30th, 2007 at 3:05 am

What’s the solution to vista being slowed down browsing with the google toolbar?

6. HDCL
    HDCL said on November 7th, 2007 at 10:35 pm

I just noticed this yesterday. Also, certain letters have to be typed more than once for the toolbar to recognize it.

7. Rita
    Rita said on June 4th, 2008 at 2:01 am

There are so many items on my Google Toobar and I don’t know how to get rid of a lot of them which I never use but are so in my face that I want rid. How?