Symantec Issues Additional Trojan.Peacomm Alert – Rapidly Growing Threat

• Written on: April 13th, 2007

I received an email this morning from Symantec advising me that they are monitoring a rapidly growing Trojan virus threat on the Internet today. The Trojan.Peacomm virus has been featured on the Schrock Innovations Virus Alert Page for almost a month as a threat to be aware of. Learn how to protect yourself from this virus here.

It appears that starting yesterday there was a sudden and dramatic increase in the amount of spam email that was being sent to unsuspecting computer users. The emails have an attached .zip file that will clear through most email scanners because the .zip file itself is not a virus. However, once decompressed, the files within the .zip file contain the Peacomm virus.

If you receive an email – even from someone you trust – that contains a .zip file, think twice before opening it. Ask yourself if there is any reason this person would have sent me a compressed file out of the blue? If you do decide to open the .zip file, double check that your antivirus is up to date and working properly.

If you do not have antivirus, you can get six months of Norton Antivirus 2005 at no cost by installing the Google Pack. There is a button in the sidebar to the right that says “Get Essential Free Software with the Google Pack.” Click the button and follow the directions to install the free software.

Note that the free Norton is only compatible with Windows XP and you must not have an expired copy of Norton on your computer already.

1. Mike
    Mike said on April 13th, 2007 at 7:30 am

What happened to your email alerts about new viruses? I used to get one every week or so but I haven’t seen any in the past couple months

2. djman69
    djman69 said on April 13th, 2007 at 8:18 am

Do you get a dollar every time someone clicks on this button too?

3. Thor Schrock said on April 13th, 2007 at 9:19 am

LOL… Don’t steal Listener’s thunder! I do not get paid $1.00 when you install the Google Pack from my button. I get paid $2.00!

4. Thor Schrock said on April 13th, 2007 at 9:25 am

@ Mike.. Schrock Innovations only send alerts on viruses that are REALLY bad. Schrock was sending so much email that we started to have ISPs call us and ask us what we were up to.

On top of that, email services like MSN, AOL, and Yahoo started filtering our normal business communication emails as junk. The whole mess created so much confusion that we are developing a new delivery method for the Virus Alerts.

The new method will still be free and it will cover Virus Alerts, Spyware Alerts, as well as Severe Weather alerts and more. It will be integrated into desktop alert software that will monitor a feed on a blog. This way subscribers to the free service get up-to-date alerts directly from our web server.

This should reduce email clutter, eliminate communication problems, and will offer some neat new options like getting a text message on your phone (if you want one) when there is severe weather or a critical security alert.

If all goes well (which it rarely does) we should have this new system in place in a couple months.

5. Josh the Aspie said on April 13th, 2007 at 10:56 am

Okay, I completely support people using firefox more often (as I have previously said, Best. Browser. EVER. To date at least). However I’m curious as to why you recommend installing Firefox -then- installing the Google pack. You can get Firefox and the Google tool bar as a part of the Google Pack, and it’s customizable so if you choose, you can install Firefox and nothing else.

Throw in Adobe Reader, and sometimes Pascal, and you’ve got my typical install of the pack.

The tip about the free Norton is a good one, and I’ve been having some trouble with getting my Norton up and running after reinstalling my OS, so I may take advantage of the free 6 months on some of my systems.

But since the vulnerability for this infection is based in e-mail rather than browsing, and the problem is with virus scanners not detecting it when incoming as a zip, why not just recommend the Google Pack as a way to get updated virus definitions?

6. Thor Schrock said on April 13th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

The main difference is that FireFox is a 2 minute installation on a high speed connection, whereas the Google Pack is a 25 minute installation on a high speed connection. So if you just need FireFox, it is much faster to install only FireFox rather than the all encompassing Google Pack.

7. Josh the Aspie said on April 13th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Right, but you recommend installing both, and Firefox has nothing to do with this -particular- threat by the provided description.

8. Mary Fischer
    Mary Fischer said on April 13th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

When I boot up my computer (which I purchased from Schrock Innovations in April 2006), I get the dialog box that there is a problem with Windows Defender. This just started about a month ago. I always close this dialog box by clicking on the X in the upper right-hand corner, and don’t click “OK” because I don’t know what Windows Defender Service is, and my computer seems to work fine if I just close out the dialog box and ignore it.

My computer is an AMD-nVIDIA, with 512 MB hard drive, 2 Gb of memory, , 56K internal modem (Gateway, from my old computer), running Windows XP Home Edition. My ISP is AOL.

What does this dialog box mean?

9. Thor Schrock said on April 14th, 2007 at 6:34 am

The problem is that you have an outdated version of Windows Defender installed on your computer. If you left click on Start, then click on Control Panels and then double click on Add/Remove programs you can remove Windows Defender entirely. When you are done, restart your computer.

If you want to have Windows Defender protecting your computer, you can download the latest free version at:

10. Bill Tones
    Bill Tones said on April 14th, 2007 at 9:26 am

I had the same problem Mary does and Thor’s fix worked for me. It is such a simple thing that you would think they could take care of that with an update or something.

11. Mary Fischer
    Mary Fischer said on April 14th, 2007 at 9:30 am

Thanks for your quick reply! If you don’t mind one more question, what is Windows Defender, and do I need it since I have Norton Anti-Virus?

12. Thor Schrock said on April 14th, 2007 at 9:33 am

Windows Defender is ok, but I don’t believe it is necessary. I do not run it on my notebook, if that tells you anything.

13. dj69man
    dj69man said on April 17th, 2007 at 8:27 am

As usual, I heard about it here first. The news about this is all over the web now. Even CNN was running a story for it.