Use Caution With Disk Cleanup on a Windows Vista Laptop that Uses Hibrination

• Written on: April 7th, 2007

Today I decided it was time to do some housekeeping on my Windows Vista notebook (after all, how much of a hipocrite would I be if I did not get a Maintenance Checkup myself once in a while?) .

I started with the basics like a disk cleanup and a disk defragmentation. As I moved therough the new Vista Disk Cleanup menu, I noticed that Microsoft has add a few new items to the list. Without much thought I started checking all of the items on the list, because when your hard drive is down to 5 GB of free space, everything that is not needed has got to go.

As I went check-happy down the list I saw a new item that gave me pause. There was a check box for remove hibrination file. The hibrination file is the file taht allows a notebook computer to save all of its memory contents to the hard drive and completely power down in between uses. It is easier on battery life (because with Vista sucking power like the Bat Signal every watt counts) and takes significantly less time to start up than the computer normall would. Why would I want to save 1.8 GB by removing that file?

I did a little research and found that if I would have removed that file my computer’s hibrination feature would have stopped working. Turning it back on is no dream either, and for most people it owuld require the assistance of a qualified computer repair technician.

So a word of caution to all of you do-it-your-self technicians out there. Watch out for this nifty little “space saver.” Of course, if you don’t use the hibrination feature and do not think you ever will, feel free to take back the 2 GB this file can take up.

Other new additions to the Disk Cleanup menu include the ability to remove old files that have been olsoleted by Windows Update, as well as an assortment of other log files and setup files that the old version of the utility did not detect or remove.

You can access Windows Disk Cleanup on your Windows Vista computer by clicking on Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools and finally Disk Cleanup.

1. Shelton
    Shelton said on April 7th, 2007 at 3:41 pm

That’s good to know. I don;’t use the hibtrinate feature now, but I might in the future. i wouldn’t want to kill it for 2 gb

2. Listener
    Listener said on April 7th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

On this weeks show, you said you have a mortgage in the community. That’s not exactly true if you live in Omaha. Secondly, it seems a bit misleading that with all your involvement in Lincoln politics, your own income actually goes to Omaha’s economy.

3. Listener
    Listener said on April 7th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Secondly, there are several computer repair shops south of “O” St, however, you wouldn’t know that since you don’t live here. Do your homework before you start making incorrect statements on the radio. Also, saying your voted #1 when your research is done by the radio station who airs your program is misleading. I would like to see how the research is conducted. So I’d encourage you to disclose more and brag less.

4. admin said on April 7th, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Thank you for listening to the program. It is true that my family moved to Omaha to open the Schrock Innovations on 81st and Maple Street.

I would have to disagree that my “own income goes to Omaha’s economy.” You can look at the income that I draw (which is a LOT less than some might believe) from Schrock Innovations, or you can look at the tens of thousands of tax dollars that my company pumps into Lincoln’s economy. With that kind of money leaving our company’s checkbook each year you had better believe I will be interested in the city’s local politics.

It might interest you to know that my interest in politics does not stop at 84th Street. I understand that no business can survive in today’s world without a keen understanding and involvement in local, state, and national politics. In fact, a few years back we donated a website to a legislative candidate from Bellevue, NE. Last year we offered a website to a Democratic Omaha City council Candidate.

I do not subscribe to the city vs. city mentality that you have toward Nebraska’s two largest cities. Lincoln and Omaha both have their strengths and weaknesses. The reason we opened an Omaha Service Center (consequently necessitating my move to Omaha) was to tap into a labor pool that was not available at a reasonable price in Lincoln.

That is one of the reasons I work closely with LIBA as candidates like John Spatz (http://www.johnspatz.com). I understand that a vibrant community with a talented labor pool is better for my company, and in turn my employees and their families.

I really appreciate you listening to our weekly radio program and taking the time to comment on my blog. I hope I have explained some of your concerns. If not, rest assured that the capital investment we will be making in Lincoln this year will be staggering and unprecedented in our company’s history.

Happy Easter! By the way, we are hiring for two positions – one in Lincoln and one in Omaha. Do you need a job?

5. Thor Schrock said on April 7th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Responding to Listener’s second comment…

Show me where they are. According to Google there are 3 computer repair centers south of O Street. See for yourself.

As for KFOR’s best of Lincoln, their survey is conducted at random by a third party accounting firm that randomly calls Lincoln residents via telephone and asks them their opinions. The calls are not placed to KFOR listeners exclusively. If you doubt this, contact KFOR’s Joy Patten (jpatten AT threeeagles.com) and she can verify this for you.

Any reason you are posting anonymously through a Texas-based ISP?

6. Kathleen
    Kathleen said on April 7th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

I appreciate all of the tech advice you post in your blog Mr. Schrock. I would advise “Listener” to do HIS research before he tears you down because apparently listening to your radio show weekly and reading your blog like a loyal customer isn’t working for him.

7. Listener
    Listener said on April 8th, 2007 at 8:40 am

PC Connection is one, they are located at 48th & South ST, I don’t believe they have a website. NebraskaIT is another at [URL removed], which is just north of 33rd and HWY 2. Also, you didn’t mention the other 2, which is why I posted the comment in the first place. So that’s a total of at least 4, not 0. There are plenty of businesses in town who provide honest service to their customers, so using the radio to disparage them or convince the public they don’t exist makes me upset. Yes, there is competition between Lincoln and Omaha. Take “Ashley Lynn’s” tanning for example. They’re moving in on Lincoln, being Omaha-based. Competing with and taking business from local tanning salons. Sure they add jobs, but ultimately their profits go to Omaha (to the best of my knowledge). Another example is Scooter’s coffee. They are an Omaha-based franchise. So a percentage of all those profits are going to outside of Lincoln. So in that sense, Lincoln needs to get its act together, and start competing with and creating its own businesses to push out competition from outside the city. There’s already enough of that with cheap services and labor being offered by big-box stores which you know about: like Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Etc. Oh, and the reason I’m posting anonymously: I don’t want you checking my IP address. I’ve only got one, and I don’t want to share it. Happy Easter to you as well. You too, Kathleen.

8. Listener
    Listener said on April 8th, 2007 at 8:43 am

Correction: They are PC Solutions at 4750 Normal Blvd # 2 (no I don’t work for them).

9. Listener
    Listener said on April 8th, 2007 at 8:49 am

QuickTEQ computer is more that a block south of “O” St. They’re at 1028 G. St. [url removed]

10. Kathleen
    Kathleen said on April 8th, 2007 at 8:57 am

Happy Easter to you too!

11. Listener
    Listener said on April 8th, 2007 at 9:33 am

And DIT Computers at 8600 Andermatt Drive, Suite 3 near the south Wal-Mart. [URL removed]. That’s way south of O.

12. Bill tones
    Bill tones said on April 8th, 2007 at 6:47 pm

Wow, what do you have against Schrock Innovations? I used to work with Legendary Computers before they wen under about 7 years ago. Then I moved to Excel and they went under. So I switched to Computers Etc, and they failed. Thor is the only person that seems to have a startup computer company in Lincoln that can survive. I would never take my computer anywhere else.

13. dj69man
    dj69man said on April 8th, 2007 at 8:46 pm

I have only heard of one of the companies mentioned above – DIT. Are the others established, or just startups looking to make a name in lincoln?

I agree that it is better to keep money here in Lincoln, but I also like to have more places to shop and more selections locally.

14. Kim
    Kim said on April 8th, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Wasn’t this post about hibrinating a laptop?

15. Listener
    Listener said on April 8th, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Well, you are all misinformed.

16. houser
    houser said on April 9th, 2007 at 6:23 am

Thanks for the heads up on the cleanup issues. I would have just checked all the boxes and then wondered why my laptop stpped hibrinating

17. Josh the Aspie said on April 10th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Hey Listener,

If you’re upset about Omaha businesses expanding into Lincoln, shouldn’t you be happy about a Lincoln Buisness, like Schrock Innovations, expanding into Omaha?

18. CJ
    CJ said on April 11th, 2007 at 11:11 am

Pertaning to ‘Listeners’ comments… he mentions that Ashley Lynn’s Tanning is taking away from local tanning salon businesses. First off, the tanning salons in lincoln are coroprate companies, not based in Lincoln. Yes, they have local ownership, but that makes them no different than Ashley Lynn’s. Secondly, this is the way the economy works. Business move into an area to enhance their profits. No city can survive soley on local business. Why do you think department stores, fast food chains, and a host of other business do so well?

19. Noah
    Noah said on April 11th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Hey Thor, longtime no see!

@dj – You’ve probably heard of DIT because it’s a regional chain — just one step ahead of Schrock Innovations.

@Listener – Do you detest the fact that Thor has expanded his Lincoln-based business into Omaha, or do you have something against the man? Also, what’s with all the city vs. city? With as small as Nebraska is, you all need to work together! I guess since you only have one IP you’re using Alltel DSL… maybe that’s why you’re so unhappy. 😛

I’ve been testing Vista out in our enterprise domain environment, while it may be fancy and decent for home users, do not buy it (yet) if you are going to use it in a business environment! There are plenty of improvements yet to be made, and hopefully they can decrease the system requirements because it makes purchasing quite a bit more expensive.

20. Listener
    Listener said on April 11th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

That’s not true. Ask most of them. They’re not corporate. They’re locally owned. I’m simply pointing out that Lincoln’s draining economy needs to be bolstered by better, more profitable local businesses. An onslaught of businesses from a nearby community is not helpful, especially when we should have the resources to start the exact same thing here. Sure there are national chains, and those have there place, but the economy will continue to struggle if people aren’t paying for most of their services locally. I’m simply pointing out that Thor lives in Omaha, and he’s says things that aren’t true about Lincoln. Someone needs to hold him accountable. It’d be nice if he would make on-air corrections to his comments next week. How about it?

21. Listener
    Listener said on April 11th, 2007 at 12:15 pm

And apparently Thor doesn’t want these businesses linking on his site. Well how about [URL Removed] or [URL Removed]. Are you going to remove these, but not http://www.schrockinnovations.com?

22. Thor Schrock said on April 11th, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Good to hear from you Noah. How are things going? If you want to listen to the show that upset Listener is available under “This Week” on the Schrock Compute This Page.

I had to record this Saturday’s show again because of a scheduling conflict, and if you listen closely I speak to Listener a few times in the broadcast. That one should be up on the website on Saturday under This Week. Its kind of like a Compute This Easter egg.

23. Noah
    Noah said on April 11th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

I guess I have to claim ignorance to his untrue comments about Lincoln, were these stated on his radio show, in another blog, in person to you? Remember, everyone has an opinion and preference as to what businesses they choose to use and why, no matter what you think the right choice is. In regards to removing links… well Thor does still have a business to run! I know I would prefer to not have any information about my competitors on my business and personal website… maybe that’s just a preference that I have?

24. Thor Schrock said on April 11th, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Yep. The first company you mentioned in your post was Geek Squad and the second one was a local repair shop that we have an agreement with about cross linking.

They don’t mention or link to us from any sites and we don’t mention or link to them on our sites. It took the lawyers 4 years to work that one out.

I don’t think it is a terrible stretch that I would promote Schrock Innovations on my blog, and not its competitors.

I freely admit that I work for Schrock Innovations, and asking me to not give Schrock deference on my blog is like asking Matt Cutts to not give Google deference on his blog.

25. CJ
    CJ said on April 11th, 2007 at 6:14 pm

@Listener…
    Now you’re pulling threads. Are you concerned with locally owned businesses, or locally owned FRANCHISES. Big difference. Schrock Innovations is a locally owned business. Those other businesses you mentioned in your post are franchises with local ownership.

You also say this (and this is right off of your post): “Sure there are national chains, and those have there place, but the economy will continue to struggle if people aren’t paying for most of their services locally.”

You do realize that Schrock Innovations started in Lincoln as a Lincoln business?? Just because he has an Omaha store does not change the fact that Schrock Innovations is a locally owned business. And the fact that he lives in Omaha doesn’t change that either. I work with people that live in one city and work in another. It changes nothing. So your arguement holds little wieght.

Finally, if you are so upset about his point about other businesses on the south sied of Lincoln, do everyone a favor and write Google a nice long letter about it. He did research. And since Google failed to list these businesses, that makes Thor the one to blame? Sorry about that! Next time I’ll commission a full report on something as trivial as the location of another business. I’m sure Thor will be sure to spend the extra hours researching the location of ever business. Google got it wrong, not Thor. Take your grief up with them.

Since this discussion is mute, let’s move on shall we? I plan on doing a disk clean up tonight and defragging. I have a big hard drive, but I figure I can do that before taking my computer in for a Maintenance Check-up.

26. Kempo
    Kempo said on July 24th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I viewed the YouTube video concerning Overnight Prints and wanted a postcard printer with a good record/product. (?) Could you suggest a printer that specializes in scenic photo-postcards?
    Question 2 is concerning SPELLING; you should double-check your work, i.e., HIBERNATION with respect to Windows Vista and a variety of other subtle example of poor english discipline. No offense-just would read better.

27. […] During the Maintenance Checkup, Schrock Innovations does all of the basic maintenance tasks that every computer user should be doing like defragging and scanning their hard drives, downloading Windows Updates, and removing unnecessary files from the hard drive (Vista users be careful with disk cleanup). […]

28. […] the other hand, a reader posted negative comments anonymously on my blog a month ago that had nothing to do with the original topic of the post. I chose to let his comments stand […]