Technology Meets the Trash Can – Mr. Sticky is Officially Retired

• Written on: March 14th, 2007

The weather has been so good for the past few days that My wife and I decided to do some spring cleaning. I found myself wondering why we even bought some of the things we were now throwing away. A perfect example is our Mr. Sticky.

Mr. Sticky was advertised in a home and garden expo as the lint roller that never needs to be refilled. We have hard wood floors, a cat and a dog, so a never-ending sticky lint roller on a broomstick sounded like a great idea at the time.

The man doing the demonstration used his Mr. Sticky to pick up all sorts of dirt, hair, and other unmentionables on his hard-wood demo set. He would pick things up, rinse it off, and like magic, it was clean again and ready for action. After watching it work wonders in front of the crowd, we decided to make Mr. Sticky a part of our home for the low, low price of $29.99.

So how did this wonderful piece of 21st century cleaning technology find its way into the trash this weekend? For starters, Mr. Sticky is a 1.5″ diameter roller coated with a sticky silly-putty-like substance. Just like in the demo, it worked great for picking up pet hair and the like, but after a couple rotations of the roller, its surface was covered and could not pick up anything else.

We then rinsed Mr. Stick off, and sure enough, all of the debris came right off. But Mr. Sticky was hard to dry. When you try to dry it with a paper towel of even a cloth towel, it would pull the lint from the towel, coating the surface again. If you attempted to use Mr. Sticky without drying him off first, it would not pick up anything.

Mr. Sticky quickly found a place far in the back of our broom closet, right beside the Roomba Robotic vacuum cleaner that was supposed to make our lives so much easier (it clogged so often it was more work to clean its brushes than it was to just vacuum yourself).

So as you clean your closets and cabinets out this spring, stop for a second to take a look at what you are throwing out. Every piece of technology has a story, and some are worth telling!

1. Amber
    Amber said on October 13th, 2008 at 8:31 pm

If you use a lint free towel, it will be dry in no time. I have 8 pets, so I love mine, personally.

2. Thor Schrock said on January 11th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

@Amber

I admire your patience, but it just didn’t work out for me.

3. paola
    paola said on March 11th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I have a mister sticky! actually I have the whole package and they work great! They are enviromently friendly and you dont have to buy refills. They are amazing. I would love to buy more for my friends and family. Maybe if you put some soap once in a while it would help the stickyness. Good Luck,

4. Steve
    Steve said on April 10th, 2009 at 11:53 pm

I love mine too!

5. Richard
    Richard said on May 27th, 2009 at 10:38 am

I am trying to get my Mister Sticky clean again. It seems that if junk is left on for very long that simple water does not do the trick anymore.

6. Kate
    Kate said on February 1st, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I tried it too – I used it to remove down feathers that my winter coat leaves behind – it didn’t remove them very well. That was the main reason I bought the thing and then it doesn’t work well. Then I made the mistake of not putting the clear plastic covering it comes with back on it all the way before pushing it into its plastic protective sleeve and poor Mr. Sticky got stuck – to itself in a section – never to return to normal again. Fortunately I bought this only a week ago at a demo at Carson Pirie Scott so I was able to return it from whence it came for a full refund. No more Mr. Sticky – too icky!

7. cs
    cs said on February 4th, 2010 at 8:14 am

i love mine…rinse with hot water, a little dishwashing liquid, let air dry (which is only a few minutes) and ready to go again….no lint remover is made for heavy duty housecleaning…just simple lint..never stuck to the plastic cover…follow directions, take care of it, you will love it…..i use it on my uniforms and couches…the floors i leave for sweeping and mopping….

8. IHEARTMRSTICKY
    IHEARTMRSTICKY said on March 17th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Mr.sticky works great! Use a lint-free towel and it dries in nearly no time, also just put some soap on it when it no longer sticks AND it has lifetime guarantee and you DO NOT have to pay S&H.

9. Mary
    Mary said on June 27th, 2010 at 10:25 am

Our Mister Sticky, too, has stopped working. We did everything the way we were supposed to. I thought there was a lifetime guarantee but I can’t find information on how to do that anywhere on the web. I was another sucker born in the minute that I bought it….

10. michelle
    michelle said on July 5th, 2010 at 11:30 am

i got mr sticky 2 weeks ago. after every use i wash it with warm water and use a little dish soap, and now after a few uses it lost all stickiness. The first time i used it, it was so sticky it picked up everything. now there seems to be no stick left in it and is becoming useless. i think i may have been dooped.

11. Maria
    Maria said on July 13th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I still love my Mr Sticky after several months and fairly regular use. I use it on my carpets to spot clean and avoid dragging out the vacuum. True, it’s done sticking after a few passes, but I’ve had no trouble getting it clean and working again (glitter is a litte tricky)!

12. Aara
    Aara said on September 4th, 2010 at 7:16 am

We saw this product at our MN State Fair and watched how easy it picked up anything the demonstrator threw down. He showed how you quickly clean it and dry it and how the “stick” returns. My wife wanted a set. I said let’s google them and 1) find out what others are saying and 2) it will probably be cheaper.

After reading these comments (some of them hilarious) I don’t think we will be investing in a Mr. Sticky.

I sure could have saved a lot of money in my early years if there had been an INTERNET!

13. jeannine
    jeannine said on March 5th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Mr Sticky is very over rated – I opened mine rolled it across the floor one time and the handle snapped in half – I have called the customer service # at least 10 times leaving a message each time because no one ever answers the phone and they have yet to call me back – this thing is junk and they people that sell it are crooks do not waste your time or money!

14. BayouTiger
    BayouTiger said on May 30th, 2011 at 7:14 am

Always amazes me that folks will buy a product, use it improperly, clean it improperly, then slam it online. I am wondering how many of these reviews are actually about the imitations that are sold online. It also doesn’t take a genius to understand that a lint remover needs to be dried with a lint free towel.

I did just buy one, and it seems impressive, but it may not last and may turn out to be a POS, but so far it works pretty well for what I bought it for. This is more a review of the reviewers.

15. StuckwithSticky said on December 30th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I bought the Mr. Sticky at Kmart during a demo. It doesn’t clean and it doesn’t get it’s stickiness back after the third use. I’m very disappointed. No more demo products for me, ever!!

16. joan carlisle
    joan carlisle said on October 14th, 2012 at 7:53 am

This is a total piece of crap. It worked for about 4 miliseconds. I washed it to get the residue off after rolling it on my cork floor for a couple of seconds. It washed right off…then needed time to dry. Tried it again no stick. Washed it as advised with grease reducing detergent. No stick. When I purchased it I thought it would be great to roll on my floor (cork) to pick up debris but the handle was only 18 inches long which meant that I had to bend over to use it. Not as I was told by the salesman. It stopped picking up anything almost immediately. Its going in the trash. WHat a waste of money!

17. Be Are
    Be Are said on October 9th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Seems like a lot of disappointed folks either have bad quality knock-offs or failure to follow recommended directions.
    Have had two red-colored Mr. Sticky rollers for well over 5 years and working like new.
    All this above ragging got me concerned enough to pull mine out and check.
    Since I thought it could/should be stickier so I used a solvent cleaner “Krud-Kutter” to de-gum it, just in case. (Probably “Goo-Gone would work as well). After rubbing in the KK well with my fingers, I rinsed it. I could tell it was now fairly squeaky-clean under the stream of tap water. I then “dried” it with a moist cellulose sponge, to remove the big beads of water, and let it air dry for maybe 5 mins.
    If were any stickier, it would not roll on my shiny porcelain tile floors.
    Try it withOUT PREJUDICE and simple respect for instructions, and you too might become a believer, after all.
    FINAL HINT: two 8″ rolls work twice as fast by mounting them togetyher on a paint roller holder.

18. […] Mr Sticky Lint RollerThis just goes to show you that sometimes blogging about obscure products can really bring in some traffic.  The Mr. Sticky Lint Roller is a rubberized roller on a stick designed to pick up pet hair and the like off of clothes, floors, and furniture.It wasn’t the best “investment” my wife and I ever made, so Mr. Sticky was formally introduced to Mr. Trash Can.  He has never been seen or heard from again, but I still rank first for the search for his name. LOL. […]