NOAA.gov Server Hack Update

• Written on: March 5th, 2007

**UPDATE 3:59 PM CST**

The FBI has been contacted by NOAA according to their Public Affairs Office. The statement I received is that NOAA is aware of the breech and is following its internal procedures. Thor Schrock and Schrock Innovations, Inc. have offered the NOAA and the FBI assistance by providing technical information that was intentionally not publicised on this blog.

**END UPDATE**

Now that news of the infiltration of the NOAA server has reached ZDNet, it appears that the NOAA is now responding to an unauthorized user accessing their website. The pages about Soma have been removed and the entire sub domain for the Global Monitoring Division is now down.

At the time of this post, http://www.cmdl.noaa.gov/ is offline. No content whatsoever is being served on the sub domain, which carried legitimate data from the NOAA as recently as this morning. The NOAA.gov main website is still operational.

The webmaster for the domain happens to be out sick today, and I have had difficulties reaching other NOAA or Public Affairs officials for comment.

1. Josh the Aspie said on March 5th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

So he just "happens" to be out sick. That’s a rather odd coincidence, if it’s true. However I’m not a big fan of ‘coincidences’.

It’s far more likely he’s just not taking calls while he tries to get this fire under control.

2. The Gopher said on March 5th, 2007 at 9:42 pm

So since news of the infiltration reached a news source, NOW they are acting? Did they think that this would remain quite or something? I’m sure they would have dealt with it regardless of ZDNet’s involvement, but these days, it’s difficult to keep anything quite… especially when it comes to hackers and spammers. Let’s hope they can resolve this soon.

3. Your Mom
    Your Mom said on March 7th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

I’m sorry, what kind of delusional world do you live in?

You offered the FBI and the NOAA assistance? Did they laugh? Ask – who ARE you? Scheister and who from BFE where? Didn’t publicize the technical information you had in this blog because… um, it was actually a picture of your mom at the county fair and an excerpt from Mark Minassi’s Windows Server 2000 book?

You are unreal man.

4. thorschrock said on March 7th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Wow, aren’t you a constructive one…

Posts appeared on our customer support forum promoting pages that were added to the NOAA website.

When a post is added to our forum, our system automatically records information about where the post came from. This information was forwarded to the FBI and the NOAA to assist in their efforts to track the source of the hack.

And seriously, a "your mama" joke? Are you living in the 80’s or what?

5. Your Mom
    Your Mom said on March 8th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Good one.

Thor Schrock – CSI Lincoln, NE.

6. Stephen P. Villano
    Stephen P. Villano said on March 9th, 2007 at 8:28 am

I was frankly hoping to find a much smaller enterprise than I found here.
    I found your site from a link describing the location and reporting of the compromised website at NOAA.
    Based upon that, I figured the very act of going through the aggravation of reporting the breach was noteworthy enough to consider offering a position with our company, a firm offering contracting positions in support of the military efforts in the middle east.

The area I was considering is frankly a low risk area (I’m there now and brought my wife along and SHE enjoys the place immensely), but I rather doubt ITT Systems could pry Thor away from what appears to be a rather successful enterprise.

Based upon a brief look around the website, I *REALLY* wish I could offer a position. The level of services offered for free advice and assistance PLUS the number of services display exactly the type of person I’d want for a new co-worker.

As I’m making only 98K per year tax free, I doubt I could entice him from his business that he’s been building over the past 8 years.

Excellent work, and thanks from one citizen to another!

Stephen P. Villano