What Happens When Your Doctor Loses His Medical License?

• Written on: February 16th, 2007

A week or so ago I went to Family Med Center in Omaha, NE to talk with my doctor about my blood sugar and my family’s history of type 2 diabetes. I thought it was a bit odd that there was a sign on the door stating that many insurance providers were no longer paying for visits with Dr. Brown, but I didn’t see my insurance company, so I didn’t think too much about it. Then I saw the news last night.

KETV Channel 7 in Omaha, NE reported in an exclusive news story that Dr. Robert Brown (the doctor that apparently owns the clinic my family goes to) had his license to practice medicine suspended on February 1, 2007 by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services for 30 days and has been placed on probation for 3 years. Back in July, the DEA suspended Brown’s license to prescribe controlled substances.

According to KETV, Dr. Brown is charged with overprescribing pain medication to his patients without maintaining the proper records that would indicate a need for the pain medication at the levels prescribed. Two of those patients have since died from overdoses of pain medication. One unnamed 35-year old male patient had 755 nanograms of Oxycontin per milliliter in his system when he died. The complaint against Brown indicates the normal therapeutic range is 10 to 40 nanograms per milliliter.

Apparently Brown’s clinic was raided, and according to one unnamed source I spoke with, agencies took a number of patient files and all of his prescription samples. Dr. Brown kept many of his employees in the dark as to what was going on regarding his suspension, instructing them to tell patients that he was out of the office because he was on vacation. Reportedly, a number of insurance providers including Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Medicare, and Medicaid have already or will soon stop paying for visits to Brown’s clinic.

My source also tells me that Dr. Brown might have taken actions to attempt to seal the state court documents filed against him in an effort to keep the matter as private as possible. Reportedly, legal action may be coming from Brown’s attorneys against the state for allegedly releasing sealed documents regarding the matter.

Whatever steps have or will be taken to quiet the matter, Dr. Brown was the lead story on Channel 7′s 10:00 news and continues to be the lead story on their website, www.ketv.com. The scary thing is that my wife and I have been treated by Brown and his staff several times.

Brown will be attending a hearing next week in Washington, DC where he will make an attempt to regain his ability to prescribe controlled substances from the federal government. He should be able to return to his clinic and practice medicine again by early March. We will probably continue to go to Dr. Brown’s clinic, not because of Brown himself, but because Michelle and Jennifer, his two nurse practitioners are some of the best medical caregivers my wife and I have ever been treated by. Needless to say, if my back goes out again I will probably go somewhere else for my prescription, or just end up taking a lot of Motrin.

1. Anonymous
    Anonymous said on February 25th, 2007 at 3:50 pm

I actually know someone by the name of Amanda Meyer and her mother, Linda Meyer who was also a patient of Dr. Brown. They referred me to Dr. Brown’s office telling me that it was easy to get pain medication through their clinic and that they had been going to him for years to get their pain medication. I have physically seen Amanda overdosing on her pain medication taking several of them at a time in order to get a "high". The ironic thing about that is Amanda Meyer was in a news article supporting Dr Brown as one of his patients. If anyone was to look into her medication prescriptions, I am positive there would be evidence of overprescriptions. But, the news doesn’t investigate the reason that she and her family support Dr Brown, they just print the words of a not-so trustworthy individual who not only is a known felon, but also overdoses on her medications from Dr. Brown.

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous said on February 25th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

My family has been going to Dr. Brown since he started his practice in the early 70s. He has always been a caring and compassionate doctor. My guess is there was some acting by a few bad patients who played on Dr. Brown’s compassion. It saddens me how a few bad patients can hurt a good doctor’s reputation. We can all expect this to affect other doctors as they now will worry more about covering their own "backside" then in helping people.

3. jeanne
    jeanne said on March 3rd, 2007 at 3:15 pm

I have been going to Dr Brown for 35 years and I totally disagree that he is abusing narcotic prescriptions with patients! He has always gone over my meds with me and has gotten me thru some very serious illnesses! As for what happened with this 35 yr old man who overdosed, where was his responsibility in taking his medications correctly? I hope and pray that this whole mess will be cleared up and that he will be back in his office soon!

4. Susan
    Susan said on March 9th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

I have gone to Dr. Brown for over 16 years and he also has gotten me through some very severe illnesses related to my Crohn’s and bleeding disorder. He has always been a very caring doctor and we always would review my medications. Infact, I am now doing much better with the Crohn’s due to his care. I also agree his nurse practitioners are excellent medical professionals and their care has always been excellent. I am still shocked over this happening and feel there is more to the ‘story’.

5. Lynn
    Lynn said on March 23rd, 2007 at 11:04 pm

I cant believe that you feel that you have the right to judge Dr Brown! Who are you to do this? He is a very caring Dr and I feel that he has been made a target for pain Dr’s.There are over 25 Dr’s in omaha that are standing up for him and will back him up during his hearing. Until you have been thru a major illnes in which he has guided you thru, I feel that you need to back off and find out the real truth!

6. Julie
    Julie said on June 13th, 2007 at 8:58 pm

I know some patients of Dr. Browns that use the system to obtain pain meds by falsely stating they are having symptoms. They play on the sympathy of doctors in order to obtain these pain meds and use the same system to receive disability benefits from the state so that they do not have to work for a living. It is sad to see our society has gotten to that point. People who take pain medications need to be responsible for their own actions and medication disbursement. If someone who is an addict takes more than the prescribed doses of pain meds, they are fully aware of the results and are probably just trying to get “high”.

There is a similar situation with one of Dr. Browns other patients. Linda, Mark, & Amanda Meyer also go to Dr Brown for pain medications. They have been seeing Dr Brown for a number of years. They were actually referred to Dr Brown by me years ago and have continued to go to him for that same reason.

I have physically seen Amanda Meyer overdose on her pain medication and drinking alcohol at the same time to get “high”. Not to mention that she is a known felon and has gang affiliations.

This is not the type of person that should be getting pain meds from Dr. Brown, however, Dr Brown only hears what Amanda is telling him as far as her so called symptoms go and he has no way of knowing oherwise unless he is informed

So I don’t think Dr Brown should be penalized for an addict using bad judgement on their part and using the compassion and sympathy of a wonderful doctor for their own selfish needs.

Dr Brown is an awesome doctor and I still see him and it has been 17 years since I started going to his office.

7. Lori Stevens
    Lori Stevens said on October 18th, 2010 at 10:54 am

I am amazed that some of you can base your “theories” of Dr. Robert Brown simply on hear say. Or, the fact that our local and national news has a tendency to “run with the ball” when reporting bad news to the public. If you, yourself have never had a bad experience with Dr. Brown then maybe you should mind your own business. He has been my family doctor since I was 13 and I am now 41. He is an excellent physician and very kind individual. For those of you out there who have never made a mistake………tell me, what’s it like to be perfect?!

8. Jim Busenbartk
    Jim Busenbartk said on January 24th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I miss Dr. Brown. I have been going to him since the 70′s when he would practice at UPRR dispensary. I have never questioned anything that he did when treating me. I would like to see him back again. He is a good doctor and deserves to be working again.

9. Jim Busenbark
    Jim Busenbark said on January 24th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oops, my name is Jim Busenbark. It seems to me that if someone was given what they thought was an overdose… they should suspect such. Did they die after the first dosage? I am willing to bet that they were drinking or taking other drugs to magnify the effect. Dr. Brown, I hope you get back to work soon.

10. Jim Busenbark
    Jim Busenbark said on January 24th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I have been seeing Dr. Brown since the 70′s when he would work at the Union Pacific RR Dispensary. I have never had any question as to his expertise. He is an excellent doctor. It seems to me that if someone was given what they thought was an overdose‚Ķ they should suspect such. Did they die after the first dosage? I am willing to bet that they were drinking or taking other drugs to magnify the effect. Dr. Brown, I hope you get back to work soon.

11. [...] in February I reported some behind the scenes information after a visit to my family physician (at the time) Doctor Robert Brown at Family Med Center in [...]

5 × = forty